95 4.0 Engine won't heat up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 4.0 Engine won't heat up

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
lpdeluxe
1995 ZJ 

95 4.0 Engine won't heat up

My engine temp won't get above 120 deg, barely above 100 today when the outside temp is 15 above. I noticed that when I start the engine, the cooling fan comes on immediately at high speed and stays on. Turns off when I shut off the ignition. A/C isn't on. Defrost isn't on. It starts and runs OK. It's getting really cold, so any direction is appreciated. I've read about temp switches and relays under the front fender, but what should I try first?

Thanks!

lpdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Thermostat.

Or, since the fan is turning on, possibly both thermostat and not enough coolant.
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

95 4.0 has a clutch fan.. It always spins.

Its a mechanical type fan, no relay or electronics involved in its operation.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Ahh, then definately stuck open thermostat.

If you replace it (and not a mechanic) make sure you put it in properly. Otherwise you might have an engine that overheats instead of underheating.

Good luck! Always come back here, I seem to log on at random hours now, so if you need any help PM me.
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Replace the thermostat and see if you can spin the fan by hand.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
lpdeluxe
1995 ZJ 

That bit about the mechanical fan is the info I think I've been searching for. I will try the thermostat tonight! Thank you so far to those who've responded.
lpdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Well, he shouldn't be able to spin the fan by hand.

It's locked down until 3k (?) rpm or so, then freewheels when the engine revs so high that it threatens to tear the fan apart.
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
kenv1

93 Cherokee,has new thermostat,radiator,good coolant, still the engine stays around 10 and barely any heat.anyone have ideas
kenv1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I have an idea, don't dig up 6 year old dead posts!

If you do in fact have a 93 Cherokee (XJ) then you will get much better help over in the XJ section of the forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/

If you have a 93 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) you should give us more info so we can help you.

Actually, in either case you should give us more info. Fill out your jeep profile with as much as you can, engine, trans, trim, axles. We need to know engine for the cooling problem and the rest will probably come in handy later.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.