94zj 42re stuck in first gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94zj 42re stuck in first gear

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
rob4x4

94zj 42re stuck in first gear

Hi! I have a 94 GC zj 4.0l with the 42re transmission. In the beginning when I bought the car the ATF level was low, so I changed the fluid and filter. The problem then was it would kinda skip over 2nd gear and go right to 3rd gear. And it would not kickdown/downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear. When I manually put it in 2nd gear it worked fine. I tried adjusting the TVcable many times with no luck. So I read some, and came to the conclusion that the governer pressure solenoid and sensor had to be replaced. I just did that now, and now it wont shift out of 1st gear when I start in Drive. If I start with the gearstick in 2, I can put it in drive(at speed) and it will upshift normally. When I do that, it will now downshift and kickdown to 2nd gear, did not do that before the solenoid replacement. BUT, it will not upshift from 2nd gear, just stays in 2nd like it stays in 1st when I start off in Drive. I use ATF+4

What do I do know? Never tought the problem would get worse when shifting the solenoid pack. This is what I used, shifted all the parts here: http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....cekit9697.aspx

rob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Have you tried adjusting the shifter linkage? My friends wj would say it was in 2nd gear because something was misaligned even though it drove normal
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
rob4x4

No, might look at it, but I tried something now that made me suspicous. I disconnected the cable to the output speed sensor to see if there was any difference. Well there was no difference! What does that mean? Faulty wiring somewhere? Or perhaps the new sensor does not work, Ill try put the old one back in, and see what happens.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
rob4x4

Tired putting the old output speed sensor in, but there is no difference. Any ideas?
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

use the key trick and watch the OD OFF light for codes being flashed.
is your check engine light on as well?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
rob4x4

No check engine light on. Get no codes from the check engine light with the key trick, only code 55 wich means end of code blinking. And the OD OFF light does not flash when I do the key trick. Anyway, I found the TCU and unplugged it, took a test drive and in Drive only 3rd gear worked and the manually 2nd gear. Plugged the TCU back in, and now it aint stuck in first anymore, but it wont kickdown from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st. In other words it is back in the condition before I changed the governor pressure solenoid and sensor and the rest of the kit. Omg, what is going on?
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

check the tv cable adjustment

Unread 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
rob4x4

Tried that too..
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

when you had the pan off to do the solenoids, did you find anything in the pan? have you adjusted the front band?

Unread 04-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
rob4x4

There was some small pices of metal, non magnetic. Looked like small aluminium bits. Probably about 10 pieces. I have adjusted the front band according to specs. I mean arent the changes big for this to be a electric problem when the shifting changes after just unplugging and plugging back in the TCM?
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

What did the pieces look like? Anything like that in the pan is bad news.

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
rob4x4

They looked kinda like these in the picture I found on google, only not that many.
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Moparmissus
1994 ZJ 

1) Stuff in the pan is bad. 2) I had a transmission with similar shifting issues - torque converter solenoid was bad. Good luck!
Moparmissus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Does the od off light come on when you hit the button?

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
rob4x4

Yep, the OD/off light comes on when I push the button, and overdrive does not engage when it is off, like it should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.