Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94zj 42re stuck in first gear

8K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  ratmonkey 
#1 ·
Hi! I have a 94 GC zj 4.0l with the 42re transmission. In the beginning when I bought the car the ATF level was low, so I changed the fluid and filter. The problem then was it would kinda skip over 2nd gear and go right to 3rd gear. And it would not kickdown/downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear. When I manually put it in 2nd gear it worked fine. I tried adjusting the TVcable many times with no luck. So I read some, and came to the conclusion that the governer pressure solenoid and sensor had to be replaced. I just did that now, and now it wont shift out of 1st gear when I start in Drive. If I start with the gearstick in 2, I can put it in drive(at speed) and it will upshift normally. When I do that, it will now downshift and kickdown to 2nd gear, did not do that before the solenoid replacement. BUT, it will not upshift from 2nd gear, just stays in 2nd like it stays in 1st when I start off in Drive. I use ATF+4

What do I do know? Never tought the problem would get worse when shifting the solenoid pack. This is what I used, shifted all the parts here: http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/4244resolenoidservicekit9697.aspx

#3 ·
No, might look at it, but I tried something now that made me suspicous. I disconnected the cable to the output speed sensor to see if there was any difference. Well there was no difference! What does that mean? Faulty wiring somewhere? Or perhaps the new sensor does not work, Ill try put the old one back in, and see what happens.

#6 ·
No check engine light on. Get no codes from the check engine light with the key trick, only code 55 wich means end of code blinking. And the OD OFF light does not flash when I do the key trick. Anyway, I found the TCU and unplugged it, took a test drive and in Drive only 3rd gear worked and the manually 2nd gear. Plugged the TCU back in, and now it aint stuck in first anymore, but it wont kickdown from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st. In other words it is back in the condition before I changed the governor pressure solenoid and sensor and the rest of the kit. Omg, what is going on?

#10 ·
There was some small pices of metal, non magnetic. Looked like small aluminium bits. Probably about 10 pieces. I have adjusted the front band according to specs. I mean arent the changes big for this to be a electric problem when the shifting changes after just unplugging and plugging back in the TCM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.