94 ZJ stalls and rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 ZJ stalls and rough idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
BMF2005
1994 ZJ 

94 ZJ stalls and rough idle

Ok everyone I'm new to the site and have done a lot of reading online about what seems to be a common issue. I bought a 5.2L, 94 ZJ at auction for 750 bucks! But now it won't idle for **it, It starts fine and will drive great but when I pull up to a light or stop sign it will stall or drop down to 200RPM. The new "problem" is it will idle on start and when you shift to D or R it will instantlly kill. I think its the CPS but want to be sure. I have cleaned the injectors, cleaned throttle body and replaced the IACV. Please help

BMF2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

If it only does it in gear it could be transmission related. Torque converter not slipping enough maybe.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

When my TPS sensor was on it's way out it behaved the same way you are describing but it never actually stalled. When I would stop at a light it would bog down to very low RPM's. On the highway if I gave it throttle to pass it would cut off and bog down as well. I had to lightly give it gas to get it going steady again.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.