94 ZJ has a squeak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 ZJ has a squeak

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
NEp8ntballer

94 ZJ has a squeak

So at low speeds(5-20ish) my 94 only makes a squeaking sound when turning. It has to be in a 90 degree turn. makes the noise when turning to the left or right. sound comes from the front left. It isn't constant, it gets loud and then it fades out only to get loud again. I have a 4.0 with the auto trans if it makes a difference.

NEp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Could be tie rod ends. Lube up the front end with a grease gun and see if it helps.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
LaCeS OuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
NEp8ntballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCeS OuT View Post
Could be tie rod ends. Lube up the front end with a grease gun and see if it helps.
I've already given the tie rods a good shake and they are all solid.
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Im not saying loose, but sometimes lack of grease could cause a squeaking sounds. Also, recently I had a squeaking sounds and it ended up being my trackbar. I greased it up and it went away.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
NEp8ntballer

hmmmmmm, maybe it's that tie rod end with grease oozing out of everywhere yet is still solid.
Unread 04-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Check the trackbar TRE. It can cause a squeak when turning, like I said it happened to me before. If you are stock, I have a brand new stock trackbar for sale. PM me if you need it.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
NEp8ntballer

I'm just guessing that because the trackbar TRE is constantly under stress because of the weight of the vehicle that shaking it won't cause it to move unless i jack up the front end. It's the one that is oozing grease out of everywhere.
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
jake1

I have the exact same problem. A shop told me it was the backing plate rubbing against the rotor while turning. They said they bent it back into position and the noise was gone. But it came back just 2 days later. It's been like this for 2 months.

Gotten anywhere with yours?
jake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Could also be the wheel hub bearings making the squeaking.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
I have the exact same problem. A shop told me it was the backing plate rubbing against the rotor while turning. They said they bent it back into position and the noise was gone. But it came back just 2 days later. It's been like this for 2 months.

The plate caused squeaks when turning? I was under the impression the plate turned with the rotors. In my mind that plate is useless anyways, the rotors cool down far better when it is removed.

Anyways, I would pump more grease into that joint that is oozing grease. Then take it for a quick ride and see if it cured the problem. If it did then you will know that joint was the culprit and you can have the grease boot changed.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
NEp8ntballer

Quote:

it's either stopped or I've been able to completely ignore it. I think it mysteriously stopped because I've had the windows down lately to take advantage of the nice weather.
Unread 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
jake1

I neglected to mention mine is a XJ. 2 days ago it started making a creaking / grinding noise at the same time as the squeaking. This worried me enough to leave it in the shop while at work today. I brought it to a a shop that I like this time so I'm expecting the problem to be fixed for good.
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
jake1

Shop just called me.

Problem 1: The lower u-joint in the steering column is causing clunking. I already knew this. They tell me the part is on backorder but doesn't need to be replaced, I can just keep it lubed.
Problem 2: The front-left 4WD U-joint needs to be replaced - $170-$180.

I forgot to ask but I assume that Problem 2 is the squeaking problem since the squeaking noise came from the front left.
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
NEp8ntballer

Quote:
Shop just called me.

Problem 1: The lower u-joint in the steering column is causing clunking. I already knew this. They tell me the part is on backorder but doesn't need to be replaced, I can just keep it lubed.
Problem 2: The front-left 4WD U-joint needs to be replaced - $170-$180.

I forgot to ask but I assume that Problem 2 is the squeaking problem since the squeaking noise came from the front left.
sounds like it. I'm guessing that mine is the track bar sine I've experienced something that could probably best be described as death wobble. I drive over one certain bump with the front end and the whole truck starts shaking but stops after 4-5 shakes. It's pretty spectacular and nerve wracking. My squeak is back too. I think it stopped because moisture got into the grease boot since it has been at least once a week. I guess it finally dried out.
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Yeah its possible. I had the same problem when I was stock height. You can try changing the trackbar bushings and greasing it or get a new one. When I did all my bushings up front (control arms, trackbar, sway bar, links) it made a big difference.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.