94 zj with elect fan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 zj with elect fan?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
cbeam2
1994 ZJ 

94 zj with elect fan?

Read a ton a threads on electric fans. Can't really find definitive answer.

1. Are the Hayden 2300 ish CFM fans powerful enough to cool 4.0 with AC?

2. Better option to get the junk yard fan? If so which is best direct fit?

Chuck

cbeam2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
blackjack12982
1994 ZJ 

I can't speak for the Hayden fans, but I've ran a Taurus fan on mine for pretty much ever since I've owned my ZJ. Even low speed crawling in the hot South, I've never had my engine heat up. Though I should mention I have nothing left of my AC system still in the ZJ, so that makes the radiator get air flow better.
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

The Taurus fan won't fit with the 4.0. At least not without a lot of modifications. The 4.0 is longer than the 5.2 and the fan motor interferes with either the water pump pulley or the harmonic balancer depending on how you orient the fan. You might be able to put in a dual fan set up. I gave up trying after I spent a lot of time trying to get the Taurus fan to clear.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
blackjack12982
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
The Taurus fan won't fit with the 4.0. At least not without a lot of modifications. The 4.0 is longer than the 5.2 and the fan motor interferes with either the water pump pulley or the harmonic balancer depending on how you orient the fan. You might be able to put in a dual fan set up. I gave up trying after I spent a lot of time trying to get the Taurus fan to clear.
I didn't know this, but I have never worked on a 4slo...That being said, as someone who literally is in JY's weekly, many different applications would work. I'm always on the lookout for new and better e-fan combinations.
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you spot a good high flow dual fan set up let us know. I heard something about one of the late 90s or early 2000s Lincolns having a dual fan set up but I have too many projects on my plate to investigate at the moment.
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Dukcaln

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
I can't speak for the Hayden fans, but I've ran a Taurus fan on mine for pretty much ever since I've owned my ZJ. Even low speed crawling in the hot South, I've never had my engine heat up. Though I should mention I have nothing left of my AC system still in the ZJ, so that makes the radiator get air flow better.
was looking for one for my zj as well
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
blackjack12982
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
If you spot a good high flow dual fan set up let us know. I heard something about one of the late 90s or early 2000s Lincolns having a dual fan set up but I have too many projects on my plate to investigate at the moment.
You need to PM me the space you have to work with, I have a dual fan setup right here at my desk now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
was looking for one for my zj as well
PM me
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
drewxjn

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f9...n-thread-7828/

Just did this in my 95 and it fits pretty perfect. I got the fans from a cougar because the contours all had to much front end damage. This setup works really well. HTH.
drewxjn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

That is a good looking fan. I just finished putting a Taurus fan in my other project car using a pair of relays mounted in a Saab relay block and two fan switches mounted in a custom manifold. Fully automatic fan control using factory parts keeps everything at 180 degrees. Next time I'm at the local pick-n-pull I'll scope out for that fan and another relay box.
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Dukcaln

that is a great thread.I really want to get a fan on the jeep
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

subbed for ideas

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
Dukcaln

now I am throwing the pusher fan idea around since my son will be going to college where it snows and I was thinking a entire fan set up wouldnt be enough and I don't want to rely solely on the electric fans in case there is an issue as my son isnt as mechanically minded.
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Bull, I would like to correct you sir, the Taurus fan DOES fit in a 4.0L ZJ. I just finished my swap over the weekend. yes it does matter how you orient the fan and yes it is a VERY tight fit but it does fit, and it does work wonderfully! I had one on my old '93 V8 Laredo a decade ago, the fan clutch was a POS on it, as was teh fan blade assy and clutch on this 4.0L. SO.....I put a 3.8L Taurus fan on it.
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Pics or it didn't happen.

On mine it physically fit oriented only one way but the rear of the motor was 1/4" away from the harmonic damper and after driving it was clear that the motor was rubbing on the harmonic damper.
Unread 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Scmccain06
1997 ZJ 

My 2 cents, I was at my last weekend, pulled a very nice clean Taurus fan, took it to a zj with 4.0 to make sure it would fit. No way it was going to clear so I left in the front seat. But I kept looking at other trucks and found a 2000 Dakota with 6 cyl that has a very slim fan that looks promising. It is not in a shroud, but if you look at the way it mounts I am going to mount it to the inside of my shroud. The one is saw was broken , so I am keeping my eyes open for another at the my.

Also, mid 90's Blazers have an awesome relay mount right on the firewall that comes with 4 30 amp relays on it from the factory. Easy to mount
Scmccain06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.