94 ZJ Crank but No start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 ZJ Crank but No start!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
JeepinXJstyle
1995 XJ Cherokee 

94 ZJ Crank but No start!

94 grand cherokee for a while jeep would crank you would sit and wait till you heard the fuel pump turn on and it would start. now nothing. Tested the crank sensor good , check the fuel pump good. You turn the key on lights turn on the dash air bag and ABS , the jeep will not start enless the check engine turns on which when the check engine light comes on you can hear the fuel pump click on then you start it and the light goes off and its fine. I replaced the computer nothing did the same thing. checked loose wires nothing found wiring good. another thing is the first time that u turn the key to the on position the O/D light flashes and eventually stops iam not sure if this is a code or what but i really need to get this thing fixed ASAP. if this helps its a 94 , 4.0 liter , about 170,xxx on the whole things except for the tranny it was replaced jasper sometime ago.

JeepinXJstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

so does the starter not even crank at all until the check engine light comes on, or does it just turn over and not start until the CEL comes on?

the OD light flashing is a code, usually on the 42re its the governor pressure codes.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
JeepinXJstyle
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yah the starter will crank all day the only time it does finally turn over is when the CEL turns on because the fuel pump kicks on when the CEL turns on for some reason.
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

thats very strange. I honestly dont know what's happening without being able to look at it and test things.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
j_alleyct_317
1994 ZJ 

No way!

I have the exact same problem. . . no fuel pump and no start unless "Check Engine" light is illuminated. But it still cranks fine and everything else works.
I even have the flashing light on my OD Button too

I am stumped! I wa leaning towards Computer, but I am not now LOL
j_alleyct_317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
j_alleyct_317
1994 ZJ 

I think the next thing I am going to try is cleaning the PCM connectors as many have done already. It may not solve the problem but with 227K on the clock it definitely couldn't hurt. If it still does it after that I am going to lean towards the ignition switch. . . .
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
JeepinXJstyle
1995 XJ Cherokee 

just replaced the ignition swithch in mine didnt fix it but i found out the PCM i got from the junkyard was no good so i put the old one back in and it starts but u still have to wait for the cel so i think it is the PCM just need to buy a brand new one and o yah when you u buy the ignition switch get the part the holds the key too because the one that is in the stock switch wont fit in a new switch
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
wjidol
1993 ZJ 

Did you guys get this fixed? I'm having the same problem.
wjidol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
j_alleyct_317
1994 ZJ 

I havent yet, just been too busy. I am getting rather used to going out to the jeep in the morning and turning the key on. Then by the time I am ready to leave so is it. . . . lol
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
j_alleyct_317
1994 ZJ 

Today it acted even more strangely. I turned the key to the on position like normal and waited but i got a different result. It took a while but I started hearing a noise from the rear like a sputtering sound. It sounded like the fuel pump was trying to turn but just wouldnt. So I turned the key off and then back on and the check engine light and the fuel pump both fluttered to life and it started. . . well after two attempts but started none the less.

It really seems to be the fuel pump. I dont know why else it would act the way it does. I just dont want to start throwing money at it cause, well, I dont have money to throw. lol
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Jacobjeep
1995 ZJ 

i would guess its the computer i would get a new plug and play from auto-zone or competition mine cost like 250 and solved some problems with my 94 and my 95 both related to fuel
Jacobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
j_alleyct_317
1994 ZJ 

After lots of searching and reading, I found this thread
talking about CEL's and PCM's.

Here is a post from over a year ago from ZeeJay1997:

"No programming required for same year / configuration.

Mileage is stored in instrument cluster.

The no CEL at KO condition is indicative of a failed PCM."

I have also been told to check out my CPS as that can cause a no start condition, but mine passed the test

I found a PCM in my local yard I am going to try and swing by and pick it up today. . . .
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
doublejz
2004 WJ 

this is actually a common issue. There's a PCM fix read somewhere on here that I have used twice with success.
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
doublejz
2004 WJ 

See if this helps

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
j_alleyct_317
1994 ZJ 

Yay!

I replaced my caps tonight and voila! It works.

I went to radio shack and got 3 220 uf 35v capacitors for 1.49 a piece. I cut out and desoldered the old ones and soldered in new ones and tested it out before applying silicone.

I am not a soldering expert by any means but this was very easy!

Thanks doublejz for noting that thread.

AWESOME

Tags
4.0 , ecm , ignition switch , no start , wont turn over , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.