94' ZJ 5.2L Wont Start - Help Please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94' ZJ 5.2L Wont Start - Help Please!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

94' ZJ 5.2L Wont Start - Help Please!

I have a 1994 ZJ Limited 5.2L AWD. I was having some coolant leakage and after replacing the water pump the radiator started burping fluid from the bottom, so found that I had a crack and then replaced the radiator, did a full replacement of all the hoses, new thermostat, the like. Filled up the fluids, ran her for about 20 minutes, burped the cooling system and topped off. Temp never got above normal operating temp. Hosed down the street and poured water in the area of the cooling lines and radiator to get rid of the drips of antifreeze (I captured as much of the fluid as possible, but being in the street and all and the neighbor really love having their cat around).

Now for the surprise, 30 minutes or so later turned the key and the ZJ will not start at all. She cranks over, belt moves, no check engine light, I check for sounds of the fuel pump working and there is the clicking, checked fuses and swapped relays to see all seems okay...where does this go next?

There have been no other problems on the starting side of this vehicle and never have had it cut out while on the road. This has been immediate and sever. Just tried to start it this morning and still nothing, the same thing turns over and no bing show. Checked out no start problems and there are a lot of stories of crank position sensor failure and the like, could there be any connection. Seems so unlikely, but I just don't know anymore.

I've had this thing for about a month now and its has been a good rig, but a bit of a nightmare. Any help would be wonderful. I got this older Jeep cause it was a good deal and I wanted something that I could start working on again, but this is making my head ache.

jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
homerx
1993 ZJ 

ok so first check to see if ur getting spark at the coil, cap and spark plugs. check to see if ur getting fuel at the rail. just prim the system and then with a screw driver press the valve on the rail. should be by the a/c compressor. if gas shoots out then u have fuel. let me know how it goes.
homerx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

I pulled the plugs and saw no spark. None of the needles on the panel move either. Thought maybe that I had got some mosture in the cap and pulled it looked okay. Fuel is not a problem either. I'm really lost here.
Unread 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

I also pulled the codes from the check engine light and got12 & 55, which translated into no real usable direction. Check all the fuses and they checked out. I am going to research what I can tonight and pick up a replacement crankshaft sensor tomorrow on a hell mary. Throw it in after work and and pray that will be the ticket. I hope that is it and not some alarm cutout issue that would have cost zero or some other item that will cost an arm and more time without a vehicle. Any input between now and tomorrow will be greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Ok if it was the alarm it would start run and die very quick. And u can disable that easily no big deal. As for ur codes 12 is battery disconnected in last 50 key cycle. And 55 is end of codes. So u have no sensor issuse. If u have fuel but no spark it could be the cps or cam position senser or the computer. Just to name a few most common parts.
Unread 06-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

Okay, I will move along that line and see where that takes me regarding the cam sensor. Might as well changed disributor cap and rotor since I'm there as well.
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Ya couldn't hurt. Lol
Unread 06-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

Changes the cam sensor and cap, rotor with no change in situation except that now the horn goes off when I try to start it. So now into the crank sensor and a pray.
Unread 06-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Ya do the crank and stop the horn from going off. That sounds like the alarm is going off. Lol
Unread 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

She never got to the start then die. I've done the front door and the rear hatch trick to disarm the alarm. Is there something I'm missing with this alarm thing? I'm putting her battery on a charger now and will try again before I get to involved.
Unread 06-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Well u can disable it completely if u want for now. It's the purple and yellow wire on the driver side behind the kick panels all u do its ground it to something metal there and it will turn the alarm off.
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

As soon as I can get this thing running, I'm burning it to the ground and getting a fj40. Sorry I'm just really, really frazzled!!
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Lmao I don't blame ya they are know for no starts n stuff. But don't let it get to ya its deff something that can be fixed lol. And once u do it will last for ever lol
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
jamesk
1994 ZJ 

True, but how the hell do you get to this thing from the top? I can feel it, taste it, but there his pipe right on top of it and I can I'd it for the life of me and I'm not going to just start ripping stiff off I don't know about.
Unread 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #15
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Umm the 5.2 if I remeber it's in the trans so u have to separate them to get it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.