94 ZJ 5.2L Will not start first crank! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 ZJ 5.2L Will not start first crank!

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
randyracer
1994 ZJ 

94 ZJ 5.2L Will not start first crank!

This Jeep is driving me nuts! All of the mods have been on the Jeep for years and this issue started when the battery started failing. It would crank but would not start because the battery voltage would drop low enough that the fuel pump relay would not engage. The battery was replaced (it would not hold a full charge) with an Exide 1000cca battery (cannot have too big of a battery!). If it sits overnight, it will not start on the first crank even if you wait to see that the check engine light displays immediately when the key is turned on (as it should), however the fuel pump does not spin until after you try to start it and the key has been turned off, then back on again (occasionally multiple times). Then the pump spins and pressures the system and then will start and run just fine. Once started, it will restart and run just fine until it sits overnight.

Things I've checked, or tried: cleaned and re-tightened battery cable connections, checked all engine bay ground connections and disabled the security system. All relays check out okay. All fuses check out okay. The fuel pump was replaced several years ago with an oem unit. The fuel pressure checks out to factory specs and the pressure regulator checks out okay as well. The only codes displayed are 12 and 55. Any other ideas or suggestions? Help!

randyracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

Pcm- caps
tizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
MoparCharlie
1995 ZJ 

Make sure that the check engine lites up immediatly after you turn the key on.
If it takes a few seconds then your computer may not be waking up.
My 95 did this and it progressivly got worse.
At first I would have to cycle the key or wait 10 seconds or so before the lite would illuminate and the Jeep would start.
After a few weeks it got to be up to 10 minutes before the check engine lite would come on and fire right up.
Changed PCM runs like new.

Totally unrelated to the PCM issue , but do you have the correct Champion plugs in the engine?
MoparCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
randyracer
1994 ZJ 

The check engine light displays immediately when the key is turned on (as it should). I thought that this was the problem that indicated the PCM. The only issue seems to be the fuel pump not engaging during the initial start cycle. Sorry, I do not recall the brand of spark plug, it's been a couple of years (approximately 10k ago).
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

its the caps,
3 of them in the pcm, theyre going bad
it will get worse and worse
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
randyracer
1994 ZJ 

Thank you very much for the explanation and advice! I will go down that path and will post the results here.
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

if the caps are bad, radio shack has them for about 1.50 - 2 bucks

220 uf and 25v is whats in the pcm from the factory
220 uf and 35v is what radio shack has- they will work fine

did mine 6 or 7 months ago after having the same problem as you, starts up the first time every time now
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

I remember mine used to do this, but after I did that 4 hole injector swap it seemed to go away. So maybe get some sort of injector cleaner?
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
randyracer
1994 ZJ 

Guess the injectors are suspect?

Only one capacitor tested bad, but since it was so much trouble to replace I decided to replace all three. They were $1.39 each here in Oregon, so not an expensive thing money wise. Just frustrating that it did not fix it. Willing to listen to any other ideas!

On second thought, if it were the injectors wouldn't it fail the fuel pressure leak down test that is in the factory repair manual? This one passed, consequently I feel even more confused.
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
randyracer
1994 ZJ 

The injectors have been eliminated as an issue.

Broke down and ponied up for reman injectors with the 4 pintle. (hope I spelled that right! Same issue after sitting overnight, will not start first crank. Have to cycle the ignition on and off a couple time to prime the fuel, then will start right up. Any other ideas anyone?http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/confused.gif
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
randyracer
1994 ZJ 

The final explaination

After all of the different things tried, running Berryman's B12 Chemtool through a few tanks in a row finally solved the issue. Apparently, the check valve in the fuel pump was not seating correctly so the fuel system cleaning finally did the trick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.