94 ZJ 5.2 gas problem? Please help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 ZJ 5.2 gas problem? Please help.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
AlpineStar94

94 ZJ 5.2 gas problem? Please help.

Hey guys I'm looking for some help I've read other threads but I can't seem to find the answer I need. Anyways.. I was about to head to the gas station this morning and (ironically) I ran out of gas. Or so I thought.. It started up fine as normal but I gave it some gas and as soon as I did it sputtered and tried to die. I let off the pedal, and it smoothed back out. Hit the pedal again, and same thing happened. It seemed to be out of gas. So I got some gas in it from my red can and cranked it up (started fine) idled fine...so I tried to drive it around and it immediately stalled on me. So I got to looking through this forum and saw I should clean my idle sensor. I took it off and it looked almost brand new. I cleaned it anyways because there was a little carbon on it..put it back together and started it up. Idled fine for a second...I never gave it gas but after about 30 seconds it died on me again. So Back to the forum I went. Well after about 30 minutes or so I went back out and tried to crank it again. Cranked fine. I gave it some gas and the motor revved up fine and set back down to idle fine. So I popped the hood and took my air filter/hose off and noticed a sound that sounded like pressurized air. and it was coming from inside the tb. So I gave it some gas using the throttle under the hood and the noise got louder. I let off it, and it quieted down. Then my jeep started its rough idle and the air sound was really loud and it died. Sounded like a vacuum hose leak but all the ones I checked seemed fine. Now I have no idea what do. I recently cut off my muffler, not sure if that matters or not. And I'm only 18 so go easy on me I don't have much experience underneath a hood. Anyways...hopefully somebody can help me out

AlpineStar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
AlpineStar94

And I don't think it's my fuel pump because I'm getting plenty of pressure at the fuel rail. And my filter is brand new.
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
homerx
1993 ZJ 

the first half of ur post kinda sounds like a throttle position sensor. the last half sounds like a vacuum leak, and it sounds like the plenum gasket to be more accurate. the 5.2 tend to eat them lol.
homerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
AlpineStar94

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdybrady19
hey mine doesnt have a shaft it just has a spring. Is this normal?
If I understand your question:

Uhmmmm.... NO!

The plunger is probably still in the hole...

Time for a new IAC

Never mind folks. Mine also just has a spring. I love this forum
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
AlpineStar94

What's a plenum gasket, in case a new IAC doesn't work? Is it expensive? Sorry I'm a noob...
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineStar94
What's a plenum gasket, in case a new IAC doesn't work? Is it expensive? Sorry I'm a noob...
It's attached to the blinker fluid reservoir, ha ha. Jk.
The plenum is between the throttle body and the air intake manifold. The gasket is on either side, I believe.

Sent from Hell
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
AlpineStar94

Thanks syncityj. So I unplugged the electric clip for my IAC and it has been idling fine for about 10 minutes now. Is it safe to run with the disconnected until I can get a new IAC?
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
AlpineStar94

I have been running for a year with the IAC disconnected in my 94 ZJ. Runs great, no irradic idle ever. Disconnecting was the best test of my IAC. Normally starts in less than 1 sec. however on very cold Winter mornings it takes almost 2 sec. to start and idles a little sluggish for about 1/2 mile.

Got this off another thread idk how to do the quote box but anyways this is why I ask. But I want to be sure
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
AlpineStar94

And what happenes if I temporarily cut off my catelettic converter? my engine just overheated and the cat was red hot

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.