94 JGC Laredo 4x4 Advice Wanted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 JGC Laredo 4x4 Advice Wanted

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-09-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
VentureForth

94 JGC Laredo 4x4 Advice Wanted

OK, I'm a newbie here, and was impatient to search the forums. 'Cides, it's good to just jump in sometimes and start chattin'.

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which I bought used two years ago with 140,000 miles. I paid a good price for it .

Took it to the Mountains last year in Colorado, and I swear it got 19-20 mpg! Overall, it's been a real reliable machine. The only major work I have done to it is to replace the exhuast manifold. Not too bad - only took two days by myself.

Here's my question. It's approaching 200,000 miles. I have a basic 4x4 system which just locks all fours to the trammy. Sometimes it doesn't want to come out of 4wd. It also has trouble getting in and out of 4x4 low & drivetrain neutral.

My next three items of 'regular maintenance' include 1) rebuild trammy, 2) rebuild transfer case, and 3) ring job on the engine.

My questions: Should I go ahead and do a ring job or replace the engine (6 cyl)? How hard is it for a couple mechanically inclined, but inexperienced guys to rework the trammy and transfer case? Is there something that I'm missing which should be an obvious first step to maintaining the Jeep?

Thanks!

VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2002, 07:07 AM   #2
GrandCherokeeLifer

I had a similar problem with my transfer case. My Jeep would not come out of 4WD. The problem was resolved by getting four new tires. When the rear tires become more worn than the front tires, it causes the transfer case to go into 4WD. The smaller tires in the rear turn faster, fooling the transfer case into thinking that the rear wheels are spinning and shifts into 4WD. Gotta rotate every 6K miles to avoid it.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2002, 07:24 AM   #3
head27

well i took the linkage out and relube the linkage and then it worked fine for me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.