94 JGC 4.0 trans shutters/slips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 JGC 4.0 trans shutters/slips

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-06-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
jeepcherokeev6

94 JGC 4.0 trans shutters/slips

hey everyone

im posting this for my dad, who has a '94 JGC 4.0., Auto (42RE/A500)

when accelerating from a stop, the jeep shutters, unless starting off slowly and carefully, then its fine.

when it shifts into 2nd gear, it slips for a second, and then "grabs" and drives fine.

after its in 2nd gear, the tranny works just fine, and shifts normally through all gears.

if i take off slowly from a stop, the tranny also shifts just fine, and seems to engage normally.

we were thinking of just doing a rebuild, but if theres anything else we should try first, let me know.

we are going to do a complete fluid change, including torque converter, and replace the filter, and screen (ill post when this is done)

thanx for any help!

'86 XJ, 2.8 V6 5 spd, 3" lift

"It may be a piece of sh**, but its MY piece of sh**!" -Me
jeepcherokeev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2002, 09:35 AM   #2
JeepGuyRyan

If you haven't tried already, I'd do a transmission flush and filter change and try useing either Mecron V transmission fluid or something that is synthetic. That seemed to cure alot of transmission shudder and shifting problems I've had in both cars and trucks and I think it's worth a shot before you fork over the big $$$ for a rebuild.

good luck,

Ryan
Unread 07-07-2002, 05:40 AM   #3
jeepcherokeev6

from what ive read (meaning my dad read and told me), the only fluid that should be used is 7176 (or something like that). dextron, mercon, etc. are "grabbier" fluids, so the clutches inside the transmission will grab hard, making the computer want to let up, and clamp down, and so on, at something like 140 times a second, hence the shuttering. we plan to do a complete flush including torque converter, and use 7176. as i said, ill post when this is done and tell what happened.

also, if this doesnt work, we may need to have the transmission control module re-programmed, which can only be done by the dealer, as far as i know.

anyway, thanx for the reply, JeepGuyRyan

Unread 07-09-2002, 10:14 PM   #4
Intrepidjeep

ATF7176 or the ATF+3 or ATF+4 are all great for modern Chrysler transmissions.

I would NOT use Dexron Mercon at all.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2002, 08:11 AM   #5
jeepcherokeev6

well, its been pretty bad. on our cadillac, the brakes were actually missing parts (WTF?!). on my jeep (in my signature), i just finished rebuilding the rear end. but the JGC is the next project. i will hopefully be doing the flush of the fluid soon, and well see what happens. thanx for all the help guys!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.