94 Jeep Grand Cherokee - weird starting problem! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee - weird starting problem!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
eseitz

94 Jeep Grand Cherokee - weird starting problem!

Went to start my jeep the other day and made absolutely no sound when it started. I thought the battery was dead so i had a neighbor help me jump start it, and when we hooked it up the headlights and taillights starting blinking on and off. When I started the jeep, it turned over just fine and fired up, but then would die immediately right after that, with the lights still blinking on and off. When I took the jeep off the cables, the battery then died very quickly, so I decided to charge the battery overnight. When I tried starting it up the next day, it did the exact same thing with the firing up and then dieing again immediately (with head/tail light blinking). So it doesnt seem like its the battery, and probably not the alternator,what could it be? Is it perhaps some weird computer or fuse issue that is letting the car fire up, but then not transfer over to let the car realize it needs to keep going?

Any incite would be most appreciated!!

eseitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like it could be a battery cable issue to me. If I were you, I'd remove the terminal clamps, clean the terminals and clamps, and put back on, making sure they are tight. That said, even if they are, it could be at the other end, at the starter, or perhaps at the alternator. You might also clean off your assorted grounds in the engine compartment. Do a forum search for ZeeJay1997 and the dirty dozen. Lots of good info there. Good luck.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
6x-gpapa
1993 ZJ 

It's your security system.

Due to the blinking lights, I'd say it's the factory security system. Also, the system is designed to allow the Jeep to start and then it kills the engine.
You'll need to reset the sec. sys. with your key fob. Make absolutely sure ALL doors are CLOSED-INCLUDING the HOOD and rear hatch!
If you have problems with the system, search this forum for the answers.
Good luck.
6x-gpapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
eseitz

Oh my gosh! Thanks so much for the help. That was all it was, the security issue. Sometimes the security feature accidentally gets engaged and goes off when I access the Jeep. It must have not sounded the alarm, and just sapped the battery from the lights without me knowing about it, and then kept locking out the Jeep firing up all the way when trying to jump start it. Again, thank you so much for the assistance, you are a life saver!
eseitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
travisyoung
1994 ZJ 

To disengage the security all you have to do is put the key in one of the door locks or hatch and turn it like your unlocking the door and it turns off. No need to shut everything
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.