'94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited overheating

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
derekkoop
1994 ZJ 

'94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited overheating

I own a 4x4 1994 jeep grand Cherokee limited V8. Just recently bought her and she runs and drives great. Just need to tighten down the valve cover gaskets because she's leaking a bit of oil from there and no other major problems have occurred, except she started over heating this weekend. I am not low on coolant, nor oil and I have no leaks. My father who is a mechanic has said that it may be the water pump but I am not sure. Stationed away from home so I can't just have him look at her and I don't want to take it to the shop because money's tight as an enlisted. I know basic mechanic skills but they don't help in this situation. I was driving back onto base after driving maybe 25 minutes, granted there are some big hills out here, but she overheated and cut off so I left her there over night.
All my fluids were and still are good. The next day I drive her back onto base, maybe a 5-10 minute drive from where I was and she was pretty close to the Orange again. Doing about 50 mph here but didn't have a choice as it was a one lane very busy road.
I really have no clue as to what could be causing this because just the week before I drove her for hours with no problems.
Any help would be appreciated thank you.

derekkoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Whatever you have to do,put a tstat in it too
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Whatever you have to do,put a tstat in it too
That's where you should start. If it still does it after that then flush the radiator. Did turning the heat in the cab on high help bring it down?
Unread 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

A new T stat and fresh coolant then burp it after to get the air out. Air can cause it to overheat. Don't get a cheap T stat. Do not use Failsafe brands. Use a Mopar, Stant or something of quality.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
jeepjeepster

Give us some more info about when its overheating. You say it was close to the orange while driving at 50mph. Does it over heat at idle more? Less? More at hw speeds?

Usually if it over heats all the time or more at hw speeds/under load it could be the tstat, water pump, or (most likely) the radiator.

If it over heats at idle only then its most likely a bad cooling fan clutch.

If she overheated so much that it shut off, thats not good at all.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grand cherokee , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.