94 grand cherokee starting issues - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 grand cherokee starting issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #31
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I did not check it but it seems to be ok my gf was following me today and she said it was blowing stiff out and when i got on it it blew out in a black puff then stopped. Could that cause the miss and the popping?

backwoodsracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #32
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Lack of power, can be caused by a plugged cat.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #33
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I guess the only way to check is by replacing the cat?
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #34
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Im going to check the cat but could the problem be the egr valve?
Unread 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #35
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I just changed the o2 sensor no change. I didnt take the cat off yet to look at it but the exhaust seems to be flowing fine? I did check the plugs after only a 15 mile drive and they were a little bit black but nothing extreme. back to the drawing board...
Unread 07-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

double and quadruple check the firing order. It is easy to get one wrong wire placement. Firing Order 1-5-3-6-2-4
with clockwise rotor rotation

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #37
Devonreed
1987 XJ Cherokee 

try pulling your fuel pump and see if the inlet screen is dirty.rust was a big problem in my 87 xj but your tank should be plastic also the fuel filter. if either or is cloged it wont run healthy
Devonreed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #38
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

94 zj

Im going to change the fuel pressure regulator this week. If that does not work ill try changing the injectors then the fuel pump. The only reason i put the fuel pump last is because it was replaced before it was parked last year. I also drove it to work today and it made it but it bucked the whole way. I refuse to give up now lol... Firing order is correct i tripple checked it.
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #39
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Damn i tried to post a pic it wont post for me.
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #40
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Regarding the idle:
If it idles fine at 1000rpm (with a dime under the throttle stop), then it should easily be getting enough fuel to idle at 700rpm. Your idle problem is not likely related to fuel volume (pump) or pressure (regulator) issues.

Also, if it idles fine at 1000rpms, I bet the ignition is working well enough to idle well at 700rpms. I doubt your idle problem is ignition related.

3 suggestions for the idle based on the above:
1. You know it had ignition issues before (you had to replace the dead pickup to get it started). If you run too long with bad ignition problems, and lots of misfires, the cat overheats and melts from dealing with all of the unburned fuel. This just happened to my buddy's 94 due to an intermittent ignition problem we haven't been able to find. Anyhow, as mentioned in a previous post, the guts from the melted cat can maybe be clogging your exhaust. This would require way more throttle to idle. Does your muffler rattle when you tap it (his sure did!!)? It might be full of catalyst! (Maybe not if you have a free-flowing, straight through style muffler. Your GF did say she saw "stuff" come out...)

2. I know you changed it, but these idle problems are classic IAC symptoms. Perhaps the wiring is an issue, or perhaps the PCM is not commanding it to open enough. An IAC problem would also affect the running when you put the car in gear (normally, that signals the PCM to open the IAC a bit more to maintain idle).

3. If someone screwed with it, perhaps the "idle stop adjustment screw" has been unscrewed a bunch. Yes, the IAC should compensate, but maybe it needs a tweaking. When you open the throttle and look into the TB, do you see a crescent where the throttle plate is rubbing it's way into the throttle body bore? You shouldn't! The throttle stop screw should prevent that. I think it's only adjustable if you pull off your TB...

With regards to how it drives:
1. When you put it in gear, it runs poorly. Consider adjusting the Throttle Valve (TV) cable going to the tranny. I don't exactly know how to adjust yours, but I think it's pretty easy, and this is the connection between throttle and tranny, so it can cause issues as you describe when you put it in gear.
2. A broken accumulator spring on my buddy's 94 cause it to idle really low from time to time if in gear. Doesn't sound like your problem, but is the tranny shifting fine when you drive? Is it possible there's internal damage in the tranny?
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #41
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Well i went to the junkyard today and bought a different tb it was gummed up and cleaned it all out. I tried my new iac and the original tps plus the ones that were on the tb from the yard(i tried both iac and tps with no change and a different map sensor) I tried both tbs with both iacs and tps. I also i got two fuel pressure regulators still no change. I guess ill have to check the cat somehow but ill see if i can figure out how to adjust the tv cable first. I also want to thank you and everyone else for giving me some advice oh almost forgot tranny shifts fine no issues there.
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #42
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I just went under my jeep to remove the fuel tank and noticed the tailpipe was coated with black carbon. Im guessing the cat is clogged now lets see what i can do? Id post a pic but dont know how to.

Last edited by backwoodsracing; 08-10-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #43
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

My pipe is coated with black carbon too... and I think mine runs about as well as could be expected. Maybe that means nothing.

If you knock on the exhaust, can you hear the rattling of melted-out catalyst in your muffler?
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #44
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Well i just hacked the cat off. Turns out it wasnt blocked at all? Its still running the same. The good thing is i ordered from the cat back dynomax exhaust for $99 with a $75 mail in rebate from summit racing lol. Now im back where i started im at a loss here. Time to give up for a while back to project cj7. Keep the suggestions coming please.
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #45
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

A while back you said the check engine light is on. Is it still on? If so do you know the code(s)?

So now you problem is that it misses? I've lost your problem...
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.