94 grand cherokee starting issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 grand cherokee starting issues

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

If it has been sitting for a year, you need to go out and drive it around. The gas is bad, the fluids are bad,etc. You need to go out and "drop the hammer" on it so to speak and blow all of it out. Start with a complete tune up- plugs,wires, cap & rotor, air filter, oil & filter change,tranny fluid. You'll need to get all that bad crap out it. It may take a few days and miles for it to start running right.

Also, you may want to puncuate your sentences. I had a very hard time following what you were writing, it was like reading 1 long sentence the whole time.

TJsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsracing View Post
oh i forgot to mention a plug hanging near the oil filter it has blue on it and its a 2 prong plug sould this be plugged in somewhere i couldnt find where it would go???
The only two pin plugs i can see by the oil filter are the oil pressure sender and the cam position sensor plug.

I agree that you may need to put some fuel treatment and frech fuel in it.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I put some fresh fuel in it and when i started working on it there was basicly no gas in it. The jeep had a couple gallons here and there run through it and run dry before i got it. I was told the pick up screen on the fuel pump might be clogged and to blow compressed air through the fuel lines does anyone suggest this? I was told to start with the fuel pump screen by droping the gas tank and cleaning that first. Either way next tuesday i might have it in the shop. I was trying to avoid this but i need it running soon thanks again.
backwoodsracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
ubu
1993 ZJ 

Before you drop the tank, I would sugest you check fuel pressure.

Is the PCM controlling the IAC valve? If you pull the IAC out of the housing and leave it connected, you should see it try to "find home" when the key is on.

This may sound a little weird, but my Jeep would actually run sometimes with no throttle body controls. Unplug IAC, TPS, and MAP with no change. Plug in brand new IAC and it never moves. The check engine light would not come on with the key, like there was nothing there, but sometimes it would, and it would throw out inconsistent codes. Ended up having a bad PCM. It was actually an aftermarket one and it was the wrong P/N.
ubu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I guess i should of mentioned this before but every time i worked on my jeep i pulled a batt from my other vehicle. I talked to a mechanic i know and he told me the computer needs to be reset? He told me to drive for 3 or 4 miles at 40 mph or so but the jeep is not legal for the road yet is there another way to reset the computer?? I just bought a new batt and it will not be pulled again anytime soon to avoid this again any suggestions?
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Well here is an update... I put the new batt in let it idle with my foot on the gas for about 15 minuets thinking this would reset the computer and nothing so i shut it off. ten minuets later i go to start the jeep i hear a click wile it was cranking and lost all power no now im worse off then before. It wont crank at all? I love jeeps but this one is going to be sold for scrap soon any help?
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #22
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

A couple of things:
The wires hanging from around the filter are for an optional "Oil Level Sensor." They have nothing to do with how the engine runs (or doesn't!)

Secondly, I doubt you can blow back through the fuel line to clear the sock, even if the sock is an issue. There's an anti-drain back valve just after the pump, that holds a minimum pressure in the fuel lines. Again, this valve has nothing to do with how the engine runs, only how long it cranks before starting (I was running without one for a while).

Third, you now have a serious electrical problem. That suggests... you may have an electrical problem! If "something" that was on it's way out finally died, this most recent symptom could point you in the direction of a cure! Did you really lose all power? No lights etc? And you've tried jumping it (in case something drained that new battery you put in)? If so, check your battery terminals for crud, and maybe consider cutting the ends off the cables and installing new terminals. Also check the grounds in the engine compartment (like on the coil mounts) for corrosion etc. Lights and stereo have nothing to do with how the Jeep runs, so if they don't work, the problem's bigger than engine management. IF nothing works, the only components affecting all systems are the battery, the cables, and grounds.

Finally, you can try disconnecting sensors until it runs different! It should run just fine with no O2 sensor, not MAP sensor, and no TPS sensor. It WON'T run without the Cam position sensor or the Crank position sensor, but if you get it running again, at least you can check the others for strange operation. Have you tried pulling codes recently with the "key on/key off/key on/key off/ key on" sequence?
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #23
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

I lost all power lights,radio ect.. Wont crank or even try to. I did try pulling codes but since i kept pulling the batt i kept getting the default code 12. Next the batt is fully charged and the crankshaft sensor and iac are both new along with new batt terminals i installed today and fuel filter. Tomorrow ill check the cam sensor and all grounds and i figured it was not a fuel issue. Thanks for your advice i appreciate your help
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

soon its time to put the zj in the garage and get the cj out its more reliable

Last edited by backwoodsracing; 07-24-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Cut the ends off the batt cables and its running again. Now i have to figure out how to reset the computer. I guess it will have to wait till its legal and i can take it on the road...
Unread 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #26
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Is there a way to reset the computer without driving it? I changed the cap rotor and wires today no change. This needed to be done regardless but still wont idle.
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #27
klockdoc

I have a '93 and two items caused it to not properly idle correctly.

1) low battery. You have changed that, so it is eliminated as a problem.

2) TPS throttle positioning sensor. About $35.00 located behind the throttle body. It will cause engine to not idle or to run rough or not at all when accelerating.

But, if it is a TPS, it should show up on the check engine light. Turn your key on-off, on-off, then on and leave it on. count the blinks on the check engine and write down the codes. TPS is 24 code.

You can also check to see if yu have sufficient power from the PCM to the TPS. With the electrical connector disconnected, place the positive wire from your meter to terminal 3 and the negative wire of your meter to terminal 1. Turn the key on, should have 5.0 volts.

Good luck
klockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #28
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

The check engine light is not on? I did recently change the tps but it was with a junkyard one i tested both and get the same results along with the map sensor. I did not check them with a volt meter though.
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #29
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

Well i took the jeep out for a ride got gas then went on a back road and drove her around for ten miles. I went down a small hill to turn around and on the way up pretty much had no power was real sluggish and the whole time i was out it seemed to have a miss but would smooth out then do it again. It also was popping here and there and im still getting the same trouble code with no check engine light on? Could it be a dirty injector? im at a standstill here...
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsracing View Post
Well i took the jeep out for a ride got gas then went on a back road and drove her around for ten miles. I went down a small hill to turn around and on the way up pretty much had no power was real sluggish and the whole time i was out it seemed to have a miss but would smooth out then do it again. It also was popping here and there and im still getting the same trouble code with no check engine light on? Could it be a dirty injector? im at a standstill here...
Since it sat for a while, did you check your exaust for restrictions ? Seems like youv'e checked everything else. Lack of power makes me wonder about that.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.