94 grand cherokee starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 grand cherokee starting issues

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

94 grand cherokee starting issues

hello everyone first off i have a 94 grand cherokee it was given to me by my girlfriend i was told it had alot of issues but im a jeep guy so i said id take it on so anyways i was told it would not crank over at all then when it did it would stall shortly after before i got my hands on it someone had changed the crankshaft sensor with a new one and a junkyard throttle positioning sensor and map sensor again the 2 were not new and some relays i was told it did not crank over at all but today i put a batt in it and i was told to lock the doors with the key then unlock it because i was told it might be the anti theft system after the batt was installed i did the lock thing and the lights stopped flashing also it did crank but did not fire up at all i see this is a common problem but it seems most people have diffrent opinions on what would be a quick fix i do not know much about grand cherokees so if anyone could help i would really appriciate any help as far as what i was told it could be a number of things like the throttle positioning sensor map sensor or coili have no clue where to start but there was a used coil in the jeep so i tried that one and using either one i have no spark also its a 4.0 6cyl thanks for your help

backwoodsracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsracing View Post
hello everyone first off i have a 94 grand cherokee.

it was given to me by my girlfriend i was told it had alot of issues but im a jeep guy so i said id take it on so anyways.

i was told it would not crank over at all then when it did it would stall shortly after.

before i got my hands on it someone had changed the crankshaft sensor with a new one and a junkyard throttle positioning sensor and map sensor.

again the 2 were not new and some relays

i was told it did not crank over at all but today i put a batt in it

i was told to lock the doors with the key then unlock it because i was told it might be the anti theft system after the batt was installed

i did the lock thing and the lights stopped flashing also it did crank but did not fire up at.

all i see this is a common problem but it seems most people have diffrent opinions on what would be a quick fix.

i do not know much about grand cherokees so if anyone could help i would really appriciate any help.

as far as what i was told it could be a number of things like the throttle positioning sensor map sensor or coil

i have no clue where to start but there was a used coil in the jeep so i tried that one and using either one i have no spark also its a 4.0 6cyl thanks for your help
Is this what you meant?

Any codes? Does the check engine light come on for 3-4 seconds, then go out when the key is in the on position?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

codes

yea 12 came up and from what i read so far thats a default code ? i also found out the fuel pump was changed within the last year or about a year ago
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

12 is batt or computer recently disconnected
It should be followed by a 55 that means the test is complete.

The PCM does not monitor fuel delivery , spark or start functions so your problem is probably fuel or spark..

Open the fuse box under the hood and find the fuel pump relay, then find another one like it and swap them.

Also try disconnecting the o2 sensor, this will eliminate it as a problem.

There are a lot of things that could cause the problem you are having. I'm not familiar with the security setup, maybe someone could tell you how to eliminate it as a problem.

Do you know the history or if the engine is internally sound?
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

as far as i know the motor is sound with 130000 miles on it before all this happend it would just stall then not start but when it run it didnt run for long and did not idle i have no spark at all now and it will not start i tried changing the fuses and nothing any ideas i was told to check the ignition module? but dont know where its located and i do not have a manual on this jeep yet i dont know even if its worth the hassle now i might just leave it sit and finnish putting my cj7 back together but its a shame to see it sit and i could use it as a second vehicle im stumped
Unread 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

i switched the fuel pump relay and nothing still no spark would anyone consider changing the distributor?
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

yes. start cheap. distributer cap& rotor, new plugs(cheap champion or autolights), new wires, NEW coil, NEW crankshaft sensor, NEW camshaft sensor.
Check the O2 sensor.
Dont go buy them all at once, this is just a guideline thing.
If none of this helps...pay close attention to what ZeeJay said about testing the fuel.
Speaking of, have you checked/replaced the fuel filter?
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

ok well i had my girlfriend go to the local auto parts store and had her buy me a cap and rotor and a pick up that goes in the distributor (a friend said to try the pick up) anyways i went to change the cap and rotor and of course the rotor was the wrong one so i didnt even try the cap because i was told they were a matching set so i figured while i was in there to check the pick up and as soon as i pulled the pick up out i noticed it was missing the magnet and the piece of metal that was there so i fished out the broken pieces and put the new pick up on and it fired right up so it basicly cost me $35 for a 94 gc but now i have a problem it wont idle as soon as i let off the gas it stalls out other wise it sounds good no noises ticking or taping it just wont idle but when it stalls it does start right back up with ease now keep in mind its been sitting for over a year i was told to just put zmax in and spray carb cleaner in the carb and it should clear up the air box does look filthy and the carb looks a little dirty so tomorrow ill pull the plugs and put a small amount of oil in which i was told to do cause it did smoke a little on the initial start up and ill add the z max check all fluids and try cleaning the carb so lets see what happens and keep any suggestions coming i also want to say i did just join this site and i want to thank everyone for your help so far im planing on running this on the road by or before next week and i hope this works well thanks again and please any help with my stalling problem would be great
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Im not familiar w/ the carbs, hopefully someone else will have an idea. Good to hear you got it started though, your half way there.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
Im not familiar w/ the carbs,
I dont think he has a carb... outside chance I could be wrong...

Sounds like the throttle body and IAC need cleaning.

Good find on the Cam sensor. easy stuff.
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

thanks again ill try that today
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

well i tried carb cleaner and no luck but i did have someone else look at it and he put a dime under the throttle where the cables are and it idled great at 1000 rpm but as soon as i put it in gear it started to run rough if i feather the gas it seems ok but as soon as i give it more throttle it runs rough could it be the o2 sensor or maybe a fuel filter? also there is a plug on the right side of the carb im not exsactly sure what it is but could it be that? thanks again dave...
Unread 07-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

well i tried changing the plugs they were coated black but its still not the problem i also pulled the iac valve and it was coated black so i sprayed it with carb cleaner not sure if that was good but its still not keeping an idle and when its put in gear it seems to run rough and wants to stall out i was told to adjust the timing and i learned its not possible so could it be the iac or the pcm? maybe the wires? ill change the wires either way this week but im just looking for some suggestions thanks again oh i forgot to mention a plug hanging near the oil filter it has blue on it and its a 2 prong plug sould this be plugged in somewhere i couldnt find where it would go???
Unread 07-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

and the check engine light is on when running
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
backwoodsracing
1978 CJ7 

check engine light is not on now changed the iac valve and fuel filter still wont idle can anyone help?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.