'94 Grand Cherokee Shifting Problem! Changed Trans still not shifting! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '94 Grand Cherokee Shifting Problem! Changed Trans still not shifting!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #46
Bigwidge
1996 ZJ 

okay, is that an easy fix? or is that something i should take to a repair shop to get fixed?

Bigwidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #47
motoxracer1551

The gov pressure sensor was also bad on the used trans we got. Screen was completely clogged with metal on original trans, so we replaced those and now everything is ALMOST perfect. It shifts into 2nd fine but then shifts into 3rd almost 2 secs later. Is this normal? It seems to shift too fast.

Anyone looking to fix their transmission: CHECK FOR FAULT CODES FIRST!!!!!!

The pressure sensor and solenoids going bad are somewhat common. Also TCU's are known to go bad often as well.
Also the pressure sensor comes in 3 wire or 4 wire.
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #48
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

over drive switch and rpm

okay guy i have a question about my rpm, when my cars at idle its stuck on 1 on the rpm gauge have trouble with acceleration, now me and a buddy of mine are tryingfigureO/D switch is on or off because my 94 grand cherokee v8 5.2 the swicth say off not on so where trying to figure out do i have to press it everytime i start the car to turn it off? when i push the over drive button in the car acceleration faster and it get 17 mile per gallon and when i dont press the botton in i get 9-10 mile per gallon so who made this botton it make no senes why would you have to turn the over drive off vs it being auto? why is there a botton that tells you to turn off vs on. im the only error code i get is 55 or 54 or a 52 not sure which one thought. please someone help me my tranny only has 100k i dont wont to blow it out.
tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #49
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

From the service manual:

"The overdrive OFF (control) switch is located in the instrument panel. The switch is a momentary contact device that signals the PCM to toggle current status of the overdrive function. At key-on, overdrive operation is allowed. Pressing the switch once causes the overdrive OFF mode to be entered and the over-drive OFF switch lamp to be illuminated. Pressing the switch a second time causes normal overdrive operation to be restored and the overdrive lamp to be
turned off. The overdrive OFF mode defaults to ON after the ignition switch is cycled OFF and ON. The normal position for the control switch is the ON posi-tion. The switch must be in this position to energize the solenoid and allow a 3-4 upshift. The control switch indicator light illuminates only when the over-drive switch is turned to the OFF position, or when illuminated by the transmission control module."
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #50
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

okay....let me get this right i have press the botton and turn the over drive off right? and how do fix the rpm being stuck at 1 in idle.
2010-12-08-10.45.22_narragansett_rhode-island_us.jpg   2010-12-08-10.45.38_narragansett_rhode-island_us.jpg  
Unread 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #51
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

Wait, am I to understand that when your jeep is running, in park, it's idling at just under 1,000 rpm? And if so, what's the issue - you feel it is too high? If you can be more specific about what you're after, it'll help.

My understanding is that turning the O/D off, essentially prevents it from going into high gear and your gas mileage is worse on highway driving.
Unread 12-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #52
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

my jeep has trouble with acceleration with the over drive on so i press the O/D switch to turn it off and it acceleration faster and i get 17 mile per gallon. what im asking is why is there a switch to turn off and why is it not auto. when you press the O/D switch the light cames on and it shut the over drive off. from my understanding over drive on stop and go will kill you tranny and engine this why im ask why there is a off botton for the O/D does. to make it clear should A. drive and not turn the switch off or B. should a always press the O/D botton when ever im driving around town. the O/D is only for treps and long driving not for driving down the street to the store. and also my RPM is stuck at 1000 why i idle.
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #53
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

Over Drive doesn't kick in until about 40-50 mph, so in stop and go traffic, no, it won't burn out your transmission. I never turn mine off. Passenger vehicles don't have a switch - O/D is always on. If you're towing or on hilly terrain, you may want O/D off for more power.

So driving down the street to the store, you won't go into overdrive unless you hit 40-50 miles per hour.

As far as idle, what do you think the idle rpm's SHOULD be?
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #54
mando69

94 jeep grand cherokee trans problem

its a 4.0 auto trans if i try to shift in from 1st to second it acts like its in neutral put it in odrive has to get to 3000 rpm to shift took it to a shop they said second gear is gone any help guys and thanks
mando69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.