'94 Grand Cherokee Shifting Problem! Changed Trans still not shifting! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '94 Grand Cherokee Shifting Problem! Changed Trans still not shifting!

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
motoxracer1551

'94 Grand Cherokee Shifting Problem! Changed Trans still not shifting!

I was having problems in my '93 GC 4.0L. It had no overdrive and intermittently wouldn't shift at all automatically. Changed the trans, the old one was full of metal shavings. We figured the trans was bad. We Put in new transmission and now its doing the same thing. Its the 42re transmission. So I can shift it manually but it doesn't go into first even when you put it in 1. I'm not sure what it can be. The "new" trans is used with about 70k.

I was searching through and saw some things about bad solenoids, but its a diff trans so i ruled that out. Also heard about a bad trans computer, but haven't checked into that yet. Is there a way to check the computer with a meter? I'm stuck and need some help.

Anthony

EDIT- its a late '93

UPDATE:

Got codes 21, 22, 23, for the transmission.

21-Governor pressure solenoid output
22 Overdrive solenoid output
23-Converter clutch solenoid output

What do you think I should do?

Last edited by motoxracer1551; 04-06-2010 at 01:05 PM..
motoxracer1551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
drrm123
1994 ZJ 

I'm having a similar issue. Something else to check for is a check valve on the lower transmission line on the radiator. People say they sometimes get plugged up. The only thing I could find on the computer is to check voltage output on 8 plug pin. http://fseg.net/mopar/downloads/42re.pdf try this link also, if i find out what is wrong with mine i'll post findings, also ther is someone by the name of baxy on this forum that rebuilds transmissions you can try him to see if he'll respond to a PM.
drrm123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check the fuses under the hood!!! I drove mine for months having to shift it manually. Finally I replaced the transmission, and the problem still occurred. It was simply a small fuse under the hood. Replaced that, and I haven't had a problem in months. If its not that then I would try another TCM
jeffp2152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Change your TCM.
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

did you flush your cooling lines out before putting the new transmission in? If not, you could cost yourself another transmission.
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
motoxracer1551

Fuse is good. The trans and cooler were flushed right before we bought the new trans, to see if that would help the old one. How do you check the TCM? Also I was reading in another thread that a '94 GC doesn't have a trans computer. Thanks for the help so far!
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

You were supposed to flush the lines when the old tranny was out and right before the new one went in..Any of that crap that was in your old transmission, just went into your new one.

edit: and the E part of 42re means electronic. Chances are you are throwing codes, and i'm going to bet it's a code for a sensor or solenoid. Read the codes and come back.
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
motoxracer1551

There wasn't that much metal shavings. Can you check the codes without a DRBII Computer?
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Bigwidge
1996 ZJ 

i have having the same issue, but for me its somewhat an on-off sort of thing. If its warm outside or if i have been driving for a long time then restart it, it will shift. But if its cold, or just an off day, she doesnt shift. I too replaced my transmission and dont even know where to start to look. And by the way when it does shift, it shifts vary hard and often i have to let off of the gas to allow it to shift.
Bigwidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

You guys sure must like to spend money if you're replacing entire transmissions before even checking codes to see if it's a simple solenoid or wiring issue...Yes you can check the codes without a drb. DRB is not an every day code scanner and i doubt you'll ever feel like dropping the coin on one. Go to autozone or advance auto, they'll pull the codes for free. Or pick up a cheap scanner for 20 or 30 bucks from them..orrr i believe it works on zjs..turn the key to on (without starting) then off in this cycle: on,off,on,off,on. On the last on position your check engine light will blink kind of in morse code type blinks.Example: one blink...pause...one blink,one blink. = code 12. I'm not sure but your overdrive light might even blink.
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Od light for tranny codes. Cel for engine codes.

Check your codes if you want help. You're in limp mode and the computer will tell you why if it didn't fail.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Yes what rat said. The O/D off light will blink out tranny codes. Check the CEL codes too.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The TCM, transmission control module, will throw codes just like the Power Control Module will. I believe there are only separte TCMs on the years 1993 to 1995. To read the codes you count the number of times the Over Drive lamp lights. The Over Drive lamp is located on the over drive switch.

Extracting Fault Codes:
Without ever starting the engine Turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON and observe the Over Drive lamp. The Over Drive lamp should begin to flash a series of codes. The flashes will be separated by short and long pauses. The long pauses separate the "ones" and "tens" positions, and each code from the next. A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

Tranny codes for 1994 OD button LED

11 Engine RPM input
12 Output shaft sensor input
13 Vehicle speed input
14 Governor pressure sensor input
15 Throttle position sensor input
16 Transmission fluid temperature input
17 Overdrive override (control) switch input
18 System voltage
19 Internal fault in module
21 Governor pressure solenoid output
22 Overdrive solenoid output
23 Converter clutch solenoid output
24 Overdrive override (control switch) lamp output
25 Internal fault in module
26 Governor pressure sensor offset drift
55 End of code transmission

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Bigwidge
1996 ZJ 

okay i will try that, but you say the long and short pauses separate the 1's and 10's, think you could explain that a little more? and how i look at the flashes and decipher it into a number that would tell me whats wrong?
Bigwidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Example
Blink Blink pause Blink Blink Blink = code 23

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.