94 Grand Cherokee Main speakers not working, but tweeters are? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 Grand Cherokee Main speakers not working, but tweeters are?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

94 Grand Cherokee Main speakers not working, but tweeters are?

Hi, I have the infinity gold system with the separate amp under the backseat...

The door speakers seem to have stopped working yet i'm still getting sound from my tweeters on the dash. It's an aftermarket head unit with a wire harness, I checked all the wiring nothing looked disconnected and replugged the harnesses in. This was all working fine for at least a year, then this happened?

Did the amp go bad? a fuse? Every once in a while if i hit a large bump all of a sudden i'll get normal sound briefly again which immediately goes back away....

thoughts? this is killing me as i hate electrical and have no idea where to start.

res0n0xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Start looking for the broken wires, or the amp is toast.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like it could be a loose connector, especially since they will come back when you hit a bump. The tweeters are wired into the front door speakers I believe, so it doesn't make sense for the door panel spekaers to stop working while the tweeters still are. I don't have an answer for that.
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

Are you certain they are? That is absolutely what's happening, I checked all visible connections and see nothing loose at all, freaking hate this, such a stupid problem to have...
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

All door speakers cut in/out at the same time?

Tweeters are wired in parallel with front door speakers.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
diamondflaw
1993 ZJ 

When you say you checked the wiring, did you also check inside the rubber boots going through the door hinges? I've had a few wires break in there, particularly over winter and if they are only just barely hanging on would explain intermittent functionality. Maybe a wild goose chase, but easy to check and if it is the problem then an easy splice fix. Disclaimer: my wiring fixes in doors up to this point have mostly been with windows/locks, not speakers so I dunno how this applies precisely. Just throwing it out there.
diamondflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
exador
1970 CJ5 

If the amp looses power the speakers go out, im not sure on the tweeters though. they are wired through the front door speakers so im 99.9% sure they go through amp as well.
Your aftermarket head unit has a built in amplifier that is 100x better then the factory, having both distorts the sound quality. I normally would suggest bypassing it but since you may have a wiring problem running new wires would be better.

Before you do anything I would suggest checking the wiring to head unit.
Did you use an adapter or cut into factory wiring? check all your wires to make sure they are still connected good, if not soldered they can come loose over time.

I could think of several more possiblities but none that would cause all door speakers to cut out at the same time.

Try unplugging your amp and seeing if tweeters still work.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
exador
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondflaw View Post
When you say you checked the wiring, did you also check inside the rubber boots going through the door hinges? I've had a few wires break in there, particularly over winter and if they are only just barely hanging on would explain intermittent functionality. Maybe a wild goose chase, but easy to check and if it is the problem then an easy splice fix. Disclaimer: my wiring fixes in doors up to this point have mostly been with windows/locks, not speakers so I dunno how this applies precisely. Just throwing it out there.
It does apply to speakers as well and is good advice. Try opening and closing the door to see if it cuts in and out when doing so. This was my first thought since the tweeter wiring would split from front speaker wiring before it went through to the door. it doesn't explain how they are all cutting in and out at the same time though.
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

well after opening up the boot covering the wires on the drivers side door I found one wire that was broken, just a single wire though, i tried cutting some of the jacket back and touching it to the piece that was exposed coming out of the door and no luck, although the metal seemed very deformed and like it had old solder on it, basically a nub.

how do i get the wire coming out of the door out and replace that single piece? Would that one single wire cause everything to go out? Again, the two front tweeters are still working just fine...
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
exador
1970 CJ5 

If its a speaker wire it could knock out just that speaker. But not the other 3 unless they have broken wires as well.

If your tweeters work with the amp unplugged chances are the amp is the cause. Speaker wires run through it so if it isn't on they won't work. Could be as simple as the fuse or a loose connection.

If they don't work with it unplugged then you have a wiring problem.
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

Well it's almost certainly a wiring issue... How do I get to this piece that holds all these wires in the drivers door? What is the process for taking the door apart to do this?

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

bump... anyone?
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
exador
1970 CJ5 

Found this on another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post
Screw on top by the mirror
Screw in the lever/lock area
Screw in armrest/handle
Screw under the armrest/handle

Pull to remove panel.

Its easier if you start pulling from the bottom, as there is a lip that slips into the window track. There should be enough slack in the wires for you to get in and manuever the panel to remove the electrical connectors.

Installation is reverse.

Last edited by exador; 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: found more detailed instructions
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Check thread... HERE and HERE

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
kens97sto171

Having a similar problem with my 98. The tweets work in all the doors. And they properly fade in all directions using the control on the radio. But no mid or bass out of any of the speakers.
If you unplug either of the connectors on the amp.. the sound stops.
Is there a fuse for the amp..did not see one labeled on the passenger side floor fuse box.
Does the tweet get amp power too or just pass through.

Sorry if I missed a post using my phone to post this.
Thanks
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.