94 grand cherokee front drive shaft compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 grand cherokee front drive shaft compatibility

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
berkdog84

94 grand cherokee front drive shaft compatibility

I have a 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited AUTO TRNAS with no front drive shaft. I am new to the jeep world and would like to know what years and what models have interchangeable front driveshafts?

Also can you please provide some means for me to identify what body styles and characteristics i should be looking for if i went to a junk yard looking for a donner jeep? Or what in characteristic should I be looking at to signify year?

berkdog84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

93-95 is your best bet. The lines on the front bumper are straight and do not dip like the 96-98.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Look at you yoke on your front driveshaft. If it is round you need a cv style driveshaft, if it looks like it will hold a u joint, then it is a u joint style shaft. If it is u joint then I think you can use a cherokee shaft which will make finding one more likely since there are way more cherokees at u pull parts places than grand cherokees. Measure for length before you go hunting. I would guess that you're not limited to 93-95 but I'm not positive on that.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

you do need to watch it when lookin for the shaft in the junkyard. 93-95 did have 2 different length driveshafts that were both u joint style. i know this because i have 2 from a 94 and one is 1.5 inches longer than the other when fully extended. my original one on my jeep was 32 inches and the one got from a friend was only 30.5 inches long. so measure the space from the yoke on the t-case to the yoke on the axle.

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
rannej
1993 ZJ 

Another thing you might want to consider -- if you don't already know, of course -- is why the front driveshaft isn't in it in the first place. I bought mine, discovered it had no front driveshaft, ended up replacing the front axle and when we put in the new driveshaft, we discovered the transfer case was messed up and causing the driveshaft to seize. If it's a U-joint, a Cherokee shaft will work just fine. Be sure to measure the length, though, as others have said.
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannej View Post
Another thing you might want to consider -- if you don't already know, of course -- is why the front driveshaft isn't in it in the first place. I bought mine, discovered it had no front driveshaft, ended up replacing the front axle and when we put in the new driveshaft, we discovered the transfer case was messed up and causing the driveshaft to seize. If it's a U-joint, a Cherokee shaft will work just fine. Be sure to measure the length, though, as others have said.
So basically worst case scenario you have to replace the TC and front axle
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

If your Jeep has high mileage and full time 4x4 then I would guess that either the front driveshaft failed so it was removed or the transfer case went bad and an easy temporary fix is to remove the front shaft. My front cv shaft blew at 120,000 miles with no suspension lift and my transfer case is fine.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
berkdog84

well went to the junkyard today with my measurements 35.25 inch from cv joint seat to cv joint seat.
found 6 or 7 Cherokees and measured their distances the same way they came out to about 31.25 or so. i second guessed my original measurements thinking there was no way all the jeeps i found were wrong lol. pulled off 3 drive shafts and the all extended to the same lengths 33 or 34 inch (cant recall which) so i took one home.... it was too short.
Haha oh man I started laughing under the jeep when i confirmed i has ****ty luck at the 2 biggest pick a parts in northern los angles county. just wondering why none were the length i was looking for. even found 2 94s and still no good.

ps i have no history on the tc history or condition so all i can do is test it out when i find a shaft. im going to post a wanted post for a used front shaft but perhaps one of u guys would have one for me if any of u fellas are in southern cali?
Unread 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Stock ZJ Type 1 driveshaft. (u-joint at pinion double cardan at transfer case)
(Off of a 1994 ZJ, 5.2L, 46RH, 249 TC)
Fully compressed: 34.25"
Fully extended: 37.25"
Travel: 3"

Stock WJ U-jointed driveshaft. (u-joint at pinion double cardan at transfer case)

Fully Compressed: 33.75"
Fully extended: 36.25"
Travel: 2.5"

Measured from outer edge of the u-joint yoke to the outer edge of the double cardan u-joint yoke.

Double cardan joint is the exact same part number.

Main tube is the same thickness. The WJ driveshaft has a slightly larger diameter tube on the pinion side than the ZJ. The main tube is the same diameter.

U-joints are still Spicer 1310's for both.

Those are measurements that I took.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebgkoolio View Post
you do need to watch it when lookin for the shaft in the junkyard. 93-95 did have 2 different length driveshafts that were both u joint style. i know this because i have 2 from a 94 and one is 1.5 inches longer than the other when fully extended. my original one on my jeep was 32 inches and the one got from a friend was only 30.5 inches long. so measure the space from the yoke on the t-case to the yoke on the axle.
I'm willing to bet your different length U-jointed drive shafts were from a 1993 4.0L with an AW4 transmission and some other 93-95 ZJ with some other drive train. The odd-ball would be the 1993 with the AW4 transmission, the 42RE is the same length as the 44RE/46RH/46RE that came in the other ZJ's.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
berkdog84

does the v8 part of it make any difference? I pulled off what shafts were left at the junk yards that had the cv at bother ends. so i must find another way to get the shaft, or wait until the junk yards restock lol. weird.
just bad luck i guess.

Last edited by berkdog84; 03-31-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Unread 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
xjPWN
1994 ZJ 

I have a 4.0 and a 5.2 there is exactly an 1.5" difference in the length of the Drive Shafts.
xjPWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

I know this is an old thread, but maybe this will elp someone else reading it.
I did a transfer case swap from 249 to 242 and now i need a longer drive shaft. same issue, 1.5" off. Because my drive shaft is too short, it creates a fulcrum point and i get a tonne of vibration, whether i am in 4wd or not.
Hope this helps someone.
[COLOR="red"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="red"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #653[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

My Jeep Build Thread : [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1994-jeep-grand-cherokee-build-1407302/[/url]
mackcs212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.