'94 Grand Cherokee chirping sound coming from engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '94 Grand Cherokee chirping sound coming from engine?

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
81Euro

'94 Grand Cherokee chirping sound coming from engine?

Greetings,

I have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 AT.
When the engine is cold, or has been sitting for a few hours (unless under extreme high temperatures), the engine area produces a "chirping sound." After the engine has been running (10-12 miles), the chirp quiets down.
The sound is loudest when I accelerate.
I've had a new water pump installed, as well as the idling/tension pulley and new serpertine belt.
The serpentine belt is NAPA, not a factory Jeep belt. I've had mechanics say putting a factory belt on it might help. Does anyone think, in addition to installing a factory belt, that the problem could be a bad bearing in the alternator?
The voltage gauge in the instrument panel cluster hovers around 11-13, which is a little lower than that in my 1994 Cherokee SE 4.0L.
Thanks for any input. The chirping drives me nuts!

81Euro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
ibskunk
1998 ZJ 

sounds like the tensioner they would chirping sounds when it does it take a 155 mm wrinch on it and pull in it while it is running and see if is stops but beware the fan
ibskunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
81Euro

I just drove the Jeep early this morning for about 5-6 miles. When I started it, it started the chirping in the park position. As I started out, it was chirping up a storm. Towards the end of the drive, if I let off the gas, the chirping quieted down some, but started back up very loud as I accelerated.

It really sounds like something that needs to warm up in order for the chirping to calm down.

So just try to tighten the tension pulley as the engine is running? Thanks.
81Euro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
sandman
1993 ZJ 

listen around all the pulleys. i have had an idler pulley, a harmonic balancer and an AC clutch chirp at me. sounds like it could be a tensioner too. your gonna have to listen to find out what pulley it is. if i were you i would try to find the squeaky pulley by either listening to it or looking for a slight wobble. if you think you found it and it is infact a pulley with an external bearing on it, i would squirt some spray lube on it. if it shuts up, thats your pulley. even if the lube shuts it up replace it because it could fail at any time leaving you stranded.
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

alternator

Hi i'm new to this jeep form....

i need some ideas I bought two alternators from a junkyard and they where tested good. I took it to auto zone they said its no good no charge or voltage ? i put it in my car it work for a day then stop so the junkyard sent me one again and that one i took to auto zone they said it was no good i put it in and no charge 000... if the junkyard is saying its good and it testing bad at auto zone are the alternators really bad or is it a voltage thing? i had AAA come out 6 times and they said the alternator no good. so i called car-go alternators and starters they said it might be my ecu? but i dont what to jump to far if it the alternator thats bad? i just order a new alternator i hope this works. if not is it the ecu pcm. by the whey what is the black box on the back of the alternator?
tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
melk
1996 ZJ 

81Euro - Try this: With it in park and idling push on the distributor cap. (Push down from the top, from the side, a couple different ways.) See if the chirping sound changes or stops.

I'm betting it's a bearing in the distributor. Ask me how I know.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I torqued my serpentine belt to the rated 175 and the chirps went away.
sirgildus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
cherokeeman96

I pushed on my distributor and when I pushed towards engine block it stops and let go it resumes. What did you do to fix this. Thanks
cherokeeman96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeman96 View Post
I pushed on my distributor and when I pushed towards engine block it stops and let go it resumes. What did you do to fix this. Thanks
I'm sure new distributor.
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
melk
1996 ZJ 

It's a worn out bearing in the distributor. You can get one from AutoZone or Oreilys etc for about 75, minus $25 core charge so about $50 bucks if you turn in your old one.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.