94 Grand Cherokee audio wiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 Grand Cherokee audio wiring?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
panathemaju
1994 XJ Cherokee 

94 Grand Cherokee audio wiring?

Hey all,

I just installed a new receiver in my Jeep, and my next ideal step is replacing the back door speakers since they're nothing but distortion. I'm a little confused on the factory wiring setup, though. It has the Infinity Audio setup, so it has a 180W 6-channel junky amp under the seat. My question is, since I replaced the head unit, am I still wired through the amp, and if so, how hard is it going to be to change?

If anybody knows a source for an audio wiring diagram, or just something that can expain the factory setup, it would be awesome. Thanks!

panathemaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
jPaul92
1998 ZJ 

the12volt.com always has dependable diagrams.
jPaul92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
panathemaju
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Dependable, but not specific enough...

I wish they had one for the Limited edition with Infinity Audio... the whole system is component speakers, and I can't find anything telling me how the amp is wired at all.
panathemaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Forgot where this was from...

gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

The factory infinity headunit has speaker-level output rather than rca (line-level) connections. These are run to the infinity amplifier's speaker-level inputs. Then you have 6 channels of audio. Front doors & tweeters, rear doors and rear hatch. Should be strait forward replacing the hatch speakers if they are the ones that are blown and having it sound good again.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
bowstryder
1998 ZJ 

bottom line is that you are using an amplified signal from the new head unit (which should normally go straight to the speakers) to the factory amp. This doesn't mean you are sending twice the power out but are intensifying the signal which is put out to the speakers via the factory set up. My suggestion is to rewire the sound system directly from the new receiver and enjoy better sounding music. Then you can remove the factory amp and have more room for other goodies under the rear seat. hth
bowstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

If it were me, I would hook the new headunit into the existing connections in the dash. Get a conversion harness so you dont have to chop the factory wiring. While you have the dash apart, I would also take the time to run a few pairs of rca audio cords and an 18 gauge wire (possibly used for a remote power wire in the future) from the dash to under the rear seat and bundle them neatly for future use. The infinity amplifer will do a decent job of adding to what your new headunit puts out. If you decide to run aftermarket amps later down the road, you can revise the wiring under the seat to connect with your new amps.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio components , speakers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.