94 Grand Cherokee 4.0L - Just purchased, died once on the way home - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 Grand Cherokee 4.0L - Just purchased, died once on the way home

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

94 Grand Cherokee 4.0L - Just purchased, died once on the way home

1994 Grand Cherokee 4.0L with 142K, picked it up for 1700, drove it for about 20 minutes around town/highway, no stuttering, no rough idle. Drove fine all the way home, until I was at a stop light near my house, just randomly died, barely could even tell, no choking/bucking or anything.

Any ideas? I'm BRAND NEW to Jeeps, have had newer cars most of my life, so maintenance wise, I'm wanting to learn.

What would be the standard things to look at/replace?

Edit, is there a "how to" for newbies/ beginners that give basic run downs on how to change some of the routine maintenance items?

res0n0xg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
leofanti
1993 ZJ 

maybe the idler air controller ( iac ) . i had a similar problem as my jeep drove great throughout all rpm ranges, then one morning when i was about halfway to work, it stalled at a red light. she started back up and had a rough idle so i came on here and was pointed to the iac. after putting a new one in, never had a problem since. so ill give you the same advice given to me, pull your throttle body and clean it real good, test and replace if necessary the tps and look at the condition of your iac. its a good place to start. good luck!!
leofanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Does it now have the CEL illuminated? If so, pull the code(s), sounds like exactly what mine did, my issue was the crank sensor.

Steve
Sclay115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
classicmetalman

Congrats on your buy. Yeah, pull the codes as mentioned earlier. Use the key on/off method if you don't have a reader.
Tune up and fluid change would be a good starting point for your new rig.
Unless you plan on taking it to a garage every time something pops up, I'd probably invest in a shop manual (Haynes or Chiltons) or even a FSM, and a multimeter.
Post up with your results (codes/no codes) and go from there.
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

Ok, update, the car just failed inspection, too much N0x, just by a little, this car has been sitting some, and only 1/8th tank of gas..

Heres the kicker, luckily was pulling onto my street, then it started sputtering like it was out of gas, RPM's bouncing for a few seconds, then full shutoff, so lucikly coasted into my driveway, lol.

The car turns over fine, but will not start now, I added about a gallon of gas and it didn't make a difference, would that be not enough to get it going if the tank is dry?

*Note that the gas light all of a sudden came on right before it was sputtering on me* There was no gas light on previously and it was not near the E, still showed just shy of 1/8th tank, maybe the fuel gage isn't 100% accurate?

There are no codes, no check engine lights.

HELP! Already a nightmare...
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Midtown
1998 ZJ 

Based upon my recent experience clean throttle body manifold and idle air control valve. If valve is very long try to push it in. Try Jeep. If not> replace idle air valve. Try Jeep.

Also might want to seafoam jeep and get new high octane gas. Change oil after 200 miles or so or less after seafoaming.

All info for this can be found by searching here. Even if this doesn't help your problem it will still be good for your jeep.
Midtown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like the engine is dirty or something.. If its been sitting for awhile, it might need to be cleaned like everyone is saying... Clean the throttle body and stuff
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown View Post
Based upon my recent experience clean throttle body manifold and idle air control valve. If valve is very long try to push it in. Try Jeep. If not> replace idle air valve. Try Jeep.

Also might want to seafoam jeep and get new high octane gas. Change oil after 200 miles or so or less after seafoaming.

All info for this can be found by searching here. Even if this doesn't help your problem it will still be good for your jeep.
I wouldn't try to push the valve in on the IAC, you could damage it. Just clean that & the throttle body real good and then see what happens.
Obie95Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

forgive my ignorance, where is the IAC? This is my first car I'm really looking at doing most "light" work myself....
Unread 05-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

IAC stands for Idle Air Control, It is on the throttle body and it regulates how much air enters during Idle when the butter fly valve is closed . Idle is controlled by the IAC piston like valve to regulate air due to change in altitude and temperature like a choke.
it s a common problem easy to resolve, There are several good write ups on here about how to. normally you can just clean it. still not hard or expensive to replace
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Its a black little box like thing attached to the throttle body behind it by 2 screws.. Unscrew it and pull it out and it has a nipple on it.. Clean that gently... not rough and then take the air intake off and open the butterfly's of the throttle body by pushing the throttle lever down and clean the inside of that also..

Also depending on how long this really has been sitting " months years ect" 1 gallon of gas wont be enough if it had like half a tank or something.... put in 93 and put in more then 1 gallon..

Its quiet possible the fuel pump may not be working right either
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie95Sahara View Post
I wouldn't try to push the valve in on the IAC, you could damage it. Just clean that & the throttle body real good and then see what happens.
X2 Give this a read
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post7415359

I'd think twice about putting Seafoam in the crankcase, if you have a leak, it could get worse. I'd just Seafoam thru the intake/throttle body.

Quote:
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
res0n0xg
1994 ZJ 

Ok, just cleaned the throttle body (did not take it off) but cleaned inside, opened the plate, seems much better now, although I'm skeptical it will help.

In terms of the IAC, I took off the module right behind the TB that is held in with two screws, I saw no nipple, refer to the picture below, is it the unplugged module or the module that's still plugged in?

Also, while working/taking that off a hose coming from the top of the motor knocked loose, although after taking a look at it, it was clearly already broken, what is this below?

Unread 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

CCV valve, that needs to be replace if its broken...

it takes clean air from the front of the airbox and puts the unburnt mixture back into the intake.
that's why a clogged rear line will cause oil to build up in the air filter

As for the controller The one thats screwd into the throttle body is what you need to take off
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by res0n0xg View Post
In terms of the IAC, I took off the module right behind the TB that is held in with two screws, I saw no nipple, refer to the picture below, is it the unplugged module or the module that's still plugged in?
Also, while working/taking that off a hose coming from the top of the motor knocked loose, although after taking a look at it, it was clearly already broken, what is this below?
What you have unplugged is the TPS. IAC is the other one

LOL, broke off the SAME exact part. $6 at parts store.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.