94, Grand char limited, Backfire/no power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94, Grand char limited, Backfire/no power

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
jeeprguy

94, Grand char limited, Backfire/no power

Looking at picking up a 94 Grand Charokee limited. Problem with jeep is:

Backfiring and lose of power.

I have not had a chance to go check it out yet but hoping I can get some ideas on what to check.

Been done:
Plugs/wires/O2 sensor/timing belt was checked and said to be good.

Wondering if plug wires could be reversed or leaky intake?

Does any one have a small diagram of how the plug wires route to each cylinder?

Any ideas what to check would be most helpfull

Thanks

Rich

jeeprguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Turbonut

Doesn't have a timing belt, but a timing chain. The firing order is the standard 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. 1 being left front from driver's seat.
Check distributor cap and rotor, rotation is clockwise.
Compression test.
Clogged exhaust-converter
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Ruffturn

If it's a 4 liter, the #1 plug wire boot easily gets torn if someone isn't careful when removing it (don't ask me how i know that). If it's torn, it'll arc to ground and cause a miss. Something else to look at would be ignition coil output, but you may have a hard time starting it if the output voltage from the coil was too low. It would certainly cause your other symptoms though.

Hope that helps.
Ruffturn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
jeeprguy

Thanks for info. Any ideas what the output volatge should be from the ignition coil? Thanks for firing order. Do you have diagram of how the wires position on the dist? What is accpetable chain play for timing? I am assuming this truck has OBD or OBDII?
jeeprguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.