'94 GC rear diff question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '94 GC rear diff question

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
sdog30

'94 GC rear diff question

Okay, I'm posting again. So according to my Haynes manual there's a junction block mounted to the top driver side of the axel tube on the rear differential (D35). The block has the rear brake line going in and left and right rear brake lines coming out. On top of this block is a breather and is supposed to have a tube attached. Mine is missing this tube.
My question is this: would a missing tube cause GL5 to spray all over the bottom of the chasis at high speeds or is it something else? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't quite have a full grasp of how the breather works since there's also the breaklines running through the block too. Anybody have any experience with this?

Unread 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
sdog30

Bueller.....Bueller?
Unread 01-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
jeepholic

My brake lines are seperate from my breather. The breather tubes should go up into the body and yes if it fell off at the axle end (this is rare) it would spit gear oil. Gear oil smells really bad and can't be mixed up with brake fluid. Make sure it's not brake fluid and find someone else with a vehicle like yours and see where that tube goes.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I do not remember what the inside of the diff looks like exactly. It would be nice if they have a splash plate there just before the vent hole. But you can route a breather hose anywhere you want. Some move it to a higher location for traversing deep water. All it does is vent any oil vapor pressure build-up. This takes the pressure off of the seals and innards of the diff.

My front diff has a fitting onto of the diff for the rubber hose. The rear D30 or 35 ? only has a rubber bung. This severs as a drain, fill, & breather port. When I mean drain, I actually mean siphon port.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
sdog30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepholic
My brake lines are seperate from my breather. The breather tubes should go up into the body and yes if it fell off at the axle end (this is rare) it would spit gear oil. Gear oil smells really bad and can't be mixed up with brake fluid. Make sure it's not brake fluid and find someone else with a vehicle like yours and see where that tube goes.
I just bought the GC a few weeks ago and the hose is completely missing. It's definately GL5 and it's all over the gas skid plate and the bottom of the driver side chassis above where the breather is. I wiped it down good and checked the fluid level (which was full) and drove around a little bit and there was nothing. Then I went on a 1 hour road trip on the highway and about 40 minutes later all you could smell was GL5 and it was smoking of the exhaust.
Soooo anyway, I was pretty sure it was because of the missing tube, but that seemed too easy. Wont the fluid just spray up the hose if I put it on? Is there a more serious problem I should look for that's causing the pressure? I have a limited slip and I'm thinking maybe if someone changed the fluid without friction modifier, maybe that would be part of the issue?
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
jeepholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30
I just bought the GC a few weeks ago and the hose is completely missing. It's definately GL5 and it's all over the gas skid plate and the bottom of the driver side chassis above where the breather is. I wiped it down good and checked the fluid level (which was full) and drove around a little bit and there was nothing. Then I went on a 1 hour road trip on the highway and about 40 minutes later all you could smell was GL5 and it was smoking of the exhaust.
Soooo anyway, I was pretty sure it was because of the missing tube, but that seemed too easy. Wont the fluid just spray up the hose if I put it on? Is there a more serious problem I should look for that's causing the pressure? I have a limited slip and I'm thinking maybe if someone changed the fluid without friction modifier, maybe that would be part of the issue?
I believe the breather is 2 way, as in maybe the hole (axle side) is clogged and it is not breathing so the pressure builds up. I would start with the breather tubes, make sure they are on and venting up near the body.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.