94 GC pulls slightly to the right. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 GC pulls slightly to the right.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #1
jdwiseman

94 GC pulls slightly to the right.

I have noticed that my 94 GC pulls a little to the right. The person I bought it from said he just did some steering and suspension work on it, so I hope it is just a slight mal-adjustment. When I am driving the freeway, it is less noticeable. But during slower speeds, and regular roads, I can sense the inclination to move that way. I have to keep a very mild heavy hand on the left side of the wheel.

It is very slight pull to the right, nothing like what I dealt with when I had a 66 Mustang coupe, which seemed to want to go in circles (don't even get me started on braking that car). I've checked the pressure in the tires already; they seem fine. I crawled under the car to see what it might be and saw that the steering bar (?) looks like it might have been worked on fairly recently. I wonder if it is an adjustment here, as he did say he did some front end work to firm up the steering.

One more note: When driving straight, I can more easily turn the wheel 45 degrees to the right than I can 45 degrees to the left.

I hope this is making some sense.

John

jdwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 05:17 AM   #2
turk

Are you noticing any uneven tire wear?

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Are you just fighting the crown of the road? (you know, the slope to keep water from standing) Try driving down the other side of the road and see if it goes away. (of course, do it only when you can see that there is no other traffic - especially cops)

I've also heard (but not sure if I believe it) that cars are designed to pull to the right in case the driver falls asleep, having the car end up in the ditch instead of oncoming traffic.

Another thing to consider is the alignment. If he just worked on the car himself, it may not be properly aligned. For ~$75-100 bucks, it's worth it to get an alignment.

The second thing about an alignment to consider is if it was aligned to compensate for the weight of the driver. Some shops will adjust the alignment so it drops even when the driver gets in. If the previous owner is a fair amount heavier than you, that could be the problem.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2002, 11:13 AM   #4
jdwiseman

Hi.

I am sure I'm not just fighting the grade of the road; I have tried several different roads/positions of the road, at several different speeds.

As far as tire wear, I have not had it long enough to notice, and I really don't want to find that out.

The previous driver was a bit taller than I am and maybe....MAYBE 20 - 25 pounds heavier.

Would it be inappropriate for me to contact him to inquire what he had done?

Thanks all.

John
Unread 02-19-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
jdwiseman

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwiseman:
Hi.

I am sure I'm not just fighting the grade of the road; I have tried several different roads/positions of the road, at several different speeds.
Just to let you all know, I was not drunk when I was doing he above.

John
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:42 PM   #6
kuzma97ZJ

Get an alignment done to it. It is cheap and it will probably solve the pulling to the right. Like you said he did the work to it himself and he most likely didn't have it aligned.
1997 grand cherokee 4.0L, forest green, 3" skyjacker, 1" spacers, adj. front track bar, skyjacker sway bar dissconnects, procomp steering stabilizer, 31" super swamper LTB's, safari bar w/ 2 KC's, custom roof rack w/ 2 KC's, tow hooks front and back, CB, dynomax turbo muffler, custom K&N filter charger, 2 12" sony explode subs.
kuzma97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.