94 gc limited slip differential chatter noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 94 gc limited slip differential chatter noise

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-28-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
amcars

94 gc limited slip differential chatter noise

My car is chattering very strongly when turning corners. It doesn't occur when cold but after driving about 20 miles or so its there.
If you have to park to a tight place and turn wheels all the way right or left you can hear chattering noise and it feels like rear wheels have hard time spinning.

I have changed new oil and even added some additive. I think it was ment for GM vehicles. Should I use some Mopar stuff or what to get rid of this.

amcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
boing

What do you have in your 94 is it a V8 or I6 if its a V8 with the 249 TC it sounds like the viscious coupling is starting to crap out on you.

Boing
boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
amcars

I was thinking that it could be some problem with the limited slip differential clutch pack?

If it is this TC coupling problem (the car is L6 with 249, alltime 4wd) how will this fault proceed? More noise even driving straight? No more driving wheel or what?
amcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
anthonyh75

I have a NP 249 transfer case for sale. It is in good condition and is in my jeep running now. I thought it was my Viccious coupling so I got a new Transfer Case and found out it was actually the OD gear set in my Transmission that is making the noise. Make me an offer on the Transfer case. I have found that the Vissious Couplers are about 400 alone. I did see someone selling one for cheaper on here you may want to look on here.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.