93 ZJ will stay in to part time 4wd, and 4wd low, but not Full time 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 ZJ will stay in to part time 4wd, and 4wd low, but not Full time 4wd

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 10-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
erichian

93 ZJ will stay in to part time 4wd, and 4wd low, but not Full time 4wd

I this a transfer case issue, or something simple? I have a 93 ZJ with a 4.0, I don't know if its command or select trac, but it will not stay in full time 4wd. Part time works fine as does 4wd lo. If I go into full time its fine at first, but after I come to a full stop it feels like the jeep is now in neutral, and the jeep won't move until I put the transfer case in a new gear.

No clue what could cause this. I just purchased the jeep, and the previous drove it for month with the front drive shaft removed. He reinstalled it at my request before the purchase. I don't know if that could be the cause or not.

I didn't notice this on the test drive but when I came to a full stop I probably just put it into 4wd lo.

Last edited by erichian; 11-02-2010 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: I thought may be I said something wrong considering no responses.
erichian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
stevo44544
1998 ZJ 

I'm having a similar issue, I pull mine to 4wd full time and it seems to be in part time. My indicator lights are dead so I can't tell what gear the transfer case is in. Just by feel. So when I give it throttle though a turn in 4wd full time the tires jump, indicating part time... I only posted here because we may have a similar problem.
stevo44544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
shaban
1996 ZJ 

How about 2wd, does it work? If your shifter linkage is misaligned you may actually be in 4wd full time when the shifter is all way forward.

PS - You can check it by jacking up the front wheel and trying to turn it. If it doesnt turn in 2wd that would mean its in 4wd.

Also, which tcase you've got, 242 or 249? It's 249 if you have "4HI, NEUTRAL, 4LO" on shifter, and 242 if its "2WD, 4FT, 4PT, N, 4LO"
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
Obv

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichian View Post
I this a transfer case issue, or something simple? I have a 93 ZJ with a 4.0, I don't know if its command or select trac, but it will not stay in full time 4wd. Part time works fine as does 4wd lo. If I go into full time its fine at first, but after I come to a full stop it feels like the jeep is now in neutral, and the jeep won't move until I put the transfer case in a new gear.

No clue what could cause this. I just purchased the jeep, and the previous drove it for month with the front drive shaft removed. He reinstalled it at my request before the purchase. I don't know if that could be the cause or not.

I didn't notice this on the test drive but when I came to a full stop I probably just put it into 4wd lo.
You have the 242 selec-Trac transfer case. Start by adjusting the linkage underneath the Jeep. It may need a new bushing. You have to be in neutral coasting slightly to engage 4Lo. The front shaft was removed because the front differential is shot or he thought it would improve MPGs. Worst case you need a new range fork.

12 things to do when your ZJ stalls by ZeeJay1997
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.