93 ZJ Transmission and T-Case Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 ZJ Transmission and T-Case Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
One99ThreeZJ

93 ZJ Transmission and T-Case Swap

Hey guys

i have a few issues that i am looking to have some help with. First is that my 93 ZJ was making a very loud droning/grinding noise that I had not been able to pin point. Doing extensive research on this subject turned up very little on a diagnosis. Long story short the noise was coming from directly beneath the center console. In the area of the back of the trans or front of T-case. So i have removed the Tcase and have begun opening it up. Now i am beginning to think that while the transfer case is out i should replace the trans. I have the 46re trans i think. or maybe 46rh which ever. visually the shaft that is in the end of the trans looks to be okay and the fluid coming out was still nice and pink and did not smell as if it were burnt. Is it possible that the VC could bind to the point that the trans wont shift from 2nd to 3rd? can i swap a 4.0 Zj trans into a 5.2 ZJ? Is there anything that anyone has heard about the noise described? It does not change with speed or with pitch of the motor.

One99ThreeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Have you removed the front drive shaft to rule out a bad double cardan joint?

Removed the front differential cover and checked the fluid/gears?

Axles in good shape on both sides?

It could well be the transmission but that's a project and isn't cheap. Have you changed the governor pressure sensor and solenoid inside the transmission pan? Your shifting symptoms point to that. You should rule out everything else first.

Does it shift smooth and on time?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
One99ThreeZJ

i have removed the front driveshaft and to be honest i would know how to tell if the double carden joint is bad.

Just changed the fluid in both diffs. Have not checked the gears. i will be doing that tomorrow.

the axles seem to be in good shape as far as the CV joints show.

the trans had been running fine and shifting properly until one day it wont shift from 2nd to 3rd. Now it will ride 2nd gear all the way to 2500 rpm and that is where i stopped trying to force it and parked it. It has sat for 5 weeks until i decided to try and get her running before the horrible winters in Chicago.
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
karik
1999 TJ Wrangler 

search for the procedure for adjusting the tv cable. my tj was slow shifting from second to third and it would rev all the way up to 3500 rpm before engaging.

zj's have the same cable that can stretch and cause slow shifting.

transmission kickdown or tv cable adjustment in the search box
karik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
One99ThreeZJ

thanks Karik. I stubbled upon the procedure on how to do the TV cable today. Its on the list of things to do.
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

You will know if the double cardan is bad if you move the around and it grinds/feels gritty/is resistant. There is a ball and spring inside. My ball ran out of grease and started squealing before it completely went out.

The 2nd to 3rd sounds like the governor pressure and solenoid. It will not allow the transmission to shift into 3rd gear/overdrive. But usually it will cause it to start out in 2nd/3rd and it will feel nutless.

I adjusted my TV cable with excellent results. It takes patience though. I drove around an empty parking lot for 20 minutes while adjusting it one click at a time until I was happy with how it was shifting.

A consistent grinding is hard to diagnose though. It seems like if it was the transmission there would be metal flakes/damaged gears.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
One99ThreeZJ

Thanks guys I will be dropping the pan as soon as i get a hold of a 242 case. Keep ya updated and ill have some photos when the project is finished.
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
One99ThreeZJ

morning folks

Got the transfer case torn down and there is little to no damage inside. I am having a hard time figuring out where this horrible grinding can be coming from. I have checked all of the bearings and everything seems to be in good working order. Cleaned the magnet in the T case as it did have a small amount of metal shavings. However there is some lateral play in what i believe is called the "sun gear"? I uploaded some photos to show the progress and also to see if any more experienced eyes can see something that i have missed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Is there any way to test the VC, i have read somewhere that if it is still functional it should not move or be extremely difficult to do so. If that is the case and there is a way to check that and everything looks up to snuff, I will put it all back together. and try out the TV cable adjustment and see what results that yeilds.

Thanks again.
2012-11-03_10-41-21_512.jpg   2012-11-03_10-17-29_47.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
One99ThreeZJ

some more less blury
2012-11-03_10-17-38_163.jpg   2012-11-03_10-41-21_512.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
ZJJAMES
1996 ZJ 

Great pictures now I just need 7 shots of vodka to focus on them.
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
One99ThreeZJ

haha is it because they are blurry i would be happy to retake some and throw em up.
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
One99ThreeZJ

hope these are better quality the lens on my camera had ATF all over it.
2012-11-03_12-38-19_389.jpg   2012-11-03_12-37-21_695.jpg   2012-11-03_12-37-50_787.jpg   2012-11-03_12-36-29_287.jpg   2012-11-03_12-36-21_544.jpg  

Tags
swap , transfer case , transmission , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.