'93 ZJ stuck t-case shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '93 ZJ stuck t-case shifter

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
Crispin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

'93 ZJ stuck t-case shifter

I'm over from the YJ board with my "inherited" ZJ with 188k miles. It's an "extra" vehicle from my family in the city that brought it to me in the country after a friend crashed my wife's A4. We live in snow country (north NY) and need to get this thing going.
Thanks to you all, I found out yesterday why it wouldn't start. I went home and did the key-on, key-off, key on thing and it started right up! Thanks.
This ZJ probably hasn't been in 4H or L in it's life. The shifter or something downline from there is stuck. Any ideas?
Otherwise, the "Dutchess" is a pretty clean ride with a sweet running 4.0. I'll never get up our driveway without that 4WD though.... Thanks, C.

Crispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bought mine from the city. Same thing, never used the tc shifter. It was just the cable siezed

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Crispin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's not like my '85 Cherokee was? I don't recall a cable. Will I be able to oil it or is it a replace job? Also, this ZJ is an auto trans... Thanks, C.
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the zj, mines a wj, but i pulled the console ouy went to the local bicycle shop and borrowed theyre little pump with a tiny tip they use. Took about a half hour to free it up. Mind you , all the crap is still in there so im not sure how long this fix will work, but so far so good

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

you should be able to get it free, but if u need a new one i have extra linkage from a NP249 (4 all time, Neutral, 4LO) is displayed on bezel
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

There is linkage on the top of the TC that connects to the handle inside - it may have become siezed so start there.
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Crispin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

stuck TC linkage

Should I attack from inside the vehicle or under? Just trying to save time as I get started... Thanks all, C.
Unread 01-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
javio1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Under the vehicle. Start with PB Blaster, then after you have freed it up, wipe off and lube it. I used lithium grease (white grease). My ZJ is a 94 automatic. I also live in the city and the salt the crap out of the streets.
javio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.