93 zj starting problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 zj starting problem

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
jetboy287
1993 ZJ 

It doesn't seem like it's that hard of a fix. I have a little exp working with a soldiering iron and working on something with parts that large sounds like a breeze to me. Much better then micro soldiering on a mother board. If I can source the caps then I may be okay. I'll have to swing by the shack when I get off work in the morning. Thanks all. I will let you know how it turns out as soon as I get it done

jetboy287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Radio shack has the caps. Make sure you get the 35W or better. I cant remember if they are 27 mf or 17mf or a few of both. ( and not trying to be a smart azz, but they are electrolytics, so they have a polarity and only go in one way. Pay attention to the old ones b4 you remove them.)

Personally, I'd rather obtain them from an electronics supply house, instead of R-shack.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
jetboy287
1993 ZJ 

Would that I could but radio shack is about the only place around here that sells any kinda replacement parts I'm kinda out in the middle of nowhere
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

You can always order higher quality caps off the internet.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
jetboy287
1993 ZJ 

So just a little update. I replaced the burnt out cap and she runs and starts like new thank you all for the help the hardest part was getting all the gel off so I could get to the cap. I'll let y'all know if I have any other trouble out of it
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #21
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

<Applause>

I hope it stays that way !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
jetboy287
1993 ZJ 

Yeah. You and me both
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy287 View Post
It's possible that it's the cps but does that control the fuel pump?? I thought that it just worked the firing order. I really don't know when it had a tune up last but the plugs and wires look brand new I've only had it about a month and it's just started giving me grief. What does the auto shutdown do? What sensors does it look at?
yes if the pcm doesn't get signal from the CPS it will not engage the circuit for the coil of fuel pump. this is how the pcm keeps the engine from getting flooded with gasoline.

i know this problem has been solved but since i'm having this exact problem i will be opening up my PCM this coming weekend (my yj has a 93 zj 5.2), so this is also my way to sub for future reference.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.