93 ZJ Shifting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 ZJ Shifting Problems

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 05-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
steamnsteel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

93 ZJ Shifting Problems

A friend of mine has 93 ZJ 4.0 with the select trac system and it has suddenly started having shifting trouble. First it started indicating that it was running in 4wd but it is not and there is a meesage saying service 4wd switch when the t-case is shifted to 4 hi or 4 lo. Also, at about the same time 1st and 4th gear went out and when shifting from park to drive the transmission selects 3rd, he can manually shift to 2nd but when trying for 1st it stays in 2nd.

TPS is testing fine but the governor pressure sensor solenoid is not closing completely but appears to be opening as it should by doing a bench test with voltage.

This jeep is strictly a street driven and bad weather vehicle for college, 214,000 miles with never having any problems and the fluids all appear to be good. My idea is that the solenoids are bad and his testing seems to confirm this. He has tried posting here on the board but has not been able to yet, this fellow lives 2 hours down the road from me and would appreciate any positive ideas before dropping coin on parts.

Recap:

He can manually shift 2nd and 3rd but did not say anything about reverse.
1st and 4th are not selecting.
TPS checks good by his method.
Fluid is good and no metal in the pan.
Govenor pressure solenoid appears to not be closing completely.

Thanks for the help.

I un-insatalled the wife mod.....lost one Jeep.
steamnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
steamnsteel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

bump

I un-insatalled the wife mod.....lost one Jeep.
steamnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
zmrtoppcop22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamnsteel
bump
I am having the same problem with my 93 grand Cherokee transmission . When I put it into drive its very sluggish starting out. If I put it into 2nd starting out there's pickup to it and then I shift it manually into drive and it goes fine. So reverse is fine too. It seem I don't have 1st gear or overdrive. Please help me out. Fluids good not burnt. I'm stumped.
zmrtoppcop22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you ever get this figured out?

My 93 ZJ with 46RH was doing this and I did a fluid/filter change and everything was back to normal. The filter was pretty dirty.
woodyvw9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Replace the gov pressure sensor and solenoid. Do the filter at the same time with fresh fluid. When they start going bad it really messes with the shifting. Borg Warner makes some heavy duty units with larger valving.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

On my 93 the problem was the transmission control module. Replaced the sensor and solenoid with no improvement. Found a post on here about a bad TCM and took a chance on a junkyard unit for $35. It's been over two years now with no issues.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

You may want to flush the transmission, and change the tranny filter. There could be a small piece of debris floating around in there that's clogging up the valve body, or the filter could be clogged too. A total fluid change won't hurt anything. This has helped me on more than one occasion.

Tony

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
CALL TOLL FREE 866-403-3393
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.