93 zj shakes violently now and then when it feels like it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 zj shakes violently now and then when it feels like it

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

93 zj shakes violently now and then when it feels like it

this is hard to describe here but ill try.
when im driving usually around 35mph and speeding up i start to feel a shake then its a full on violent one and it wont stop till i almost completely stop. it just started doing this a few days ago. it feels like its coming from the passenger side, but im not sure. it seems to stay going straight when it does it. ive checked everything i can think of. the toe in is fine, the tie rods seem fine all lug nutts are fine. the only thing iffy looking is where the sway bar hangs from looks worn, and the metal is shiny from wear on both sides as if it could have been sliding side to side.
this jeep was hit hard. the passenger side lca was pushed over. it was like that when i got it. it drove fine it just couldnt make a full left turn and the steering wheel was off. a new lca bracket was welded on the axle and a new lca was installed. it drove fine then. a few days later it was lifted 3" with spacers and a rear coil swap. the front track bar was relocated over about one inch. it continued to drive fine till after 2 days of bad weather and driving in 4 hi full time it did this on the 3rd day out of the blue. it does it in 2wd too. i have no idea whats wrong here. for all i know it could be the auto tranny shaking like mad. when its happening it hard to tell whats going on but its coming from the front not rear as far as i can tell. all u joints "look and feel" ok.
is this death wobble?
i have a 6" lifted xj and its never done anything like this, it has wobbled but i cant even compare this

86rokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

death wobble. could be anything in the front end. get started looking for anything that moves more than it's supposed to.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86rokee View Post
the only thing iffy looking is where the sway bar hangs from looks worn, and the metal is shiny from wear on both sides as if it could have been sliding side to side....

...is this death wobble?
Definitley death wobble.

What you describe sounds more like the track bar, not the sway bar...and is a common source of DW. The mounting hole is ovaled out and the sway bar is moving around.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Have someone turn your steering wheel back and forth (with the Jeep on) while you lay on the ground and watch everything closely for excessive play.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

^^^^ Do this &

if you have tow hooks lay on your back and violently push the tow hook with your foot (side to side motion) and check out that TB. If you have no tow hooks you can have someone violently push on the front end for you while you inspect.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Have someone turn your steering wheel back and forth (with the Jeep on) while you lay on the ground and watch everything closely for excessive play.
i did this, everythings pretty normal.
ive been doing alot of thread seaching. and the differance i see here with my dw is that its not consistent. i might drive all over town and it never does it then drive again and it will do it 2 times in a few minutes. im trying to fix this asap. if this happens on the freeway im gunna need new pants! anyways im not driving it now.
it doesnt do it frequently so its hard to tell if its fixed. for now would a differant junkyard track bar be a good idea?
whats up with the v8 zj stuff? why does the tie rod bar look differant and the 4.0 one is straight? i ask because im wanting to grab everything off a 96 v8 zj thats low miles at the bone yard. im going to tech school and my budget is super tight, so used it will be for now.can tires off balance really cause dw at 35mph? thanks for all the replies so far
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

I already told you where it's coming from, based on your first post.
Looking at it while someone turns the wheel will not always show the track bar moving (just like it doen't always happen on the road).

If you can see where the bolt has been moving (as you already stated you can), then you know where the pronlem is...
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
I already told you where it's coming from, based on your first post.
Looking at it while someone turns the wheel will not always show the track bar moving (just like it doen't always happen on the road).

If you can see where the bolt has been moving (as you already stated you can), then you know where the pronlem is...
the sway bar is what shows signs of moving around. not the trac bar. we have done this check a few times. originally i was told to do it engine off. ive done it both ways. i agree that its probably the track bar.
what i meant to ask is should i replace it with one off of a 96 v8 zj? and can i use the differant tierod from the v8? they are stronger right?
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If its the track bar moving, its almost exclusively the mount hole being wallowed out. You'll need to weld some grade 8 washers over the hole to repair it well.

Your symptoms do point to this.

Unread 10-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
If its the track bar moving, its almost exclusively the mount hole being wallowed out. You'll need to weld some grade 8 washers over the hole to repair it well.

Your symptoms do point to this.
this makes sense , and if it is i picked up a track bar and the bracket it hangs from.
i had a issue when i first drove the jeep home were it got shaky but not supper bad and the drivers side caliper had hung up and was smoking. today i pulled it off it cooked the rubber boot and when i compressed the piston it actually crumbled! so im getting a junkyard caliper tomorrow asap before school. does it have to be of a 4.0 zj? what years are ok?
i really doubt this is my issue causing my dw. today i had the front up in the air and kept playing with it. it seems theres slopp in the gear box. can this be a possible cause or aggrivating factor?
ive check about everything the pit man , all tie rod ends, wheel bearings,and the only thing i see that felt sloppy was where the steering stabilize bolt to the drag link. tomorrow im doing my caliper and removing the entire track bar to see if it wobbled out that hole on the mount. im changing tires tomorrow too.

86 mustang gt
8 prelude si, 5speed, 4 wheel steer
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Dude, WTF is with the "junkyard" parts?

I would NEVER put a junkyard track bar or caliper on my rig. You have got to be out of your mind.

Go buy some new parts that aren't going to fail and kill someone........
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86rokee View Post
this makes sense , and if it is i picked up a track bar and the bracket it hangs from.
i had a issue when i first drove the jeep home were it got shaky but not supper bad and the drivers side caliper had hung up and was smoking. today i pulled it off it cooked the rubber boot and when i compressed the piston it actually crumbled! so im getting a junkyard caliper tomorrow asap before school. does it have to be of a 4.0 zj? what years are ok?
i really doubt this is my issue causing my dw. today i had the front up in the air and kept playing with it. it seems theres slopp in the gear box. can this be a possible cause or aggrivating factor?
ive check about everything the pit man , all tie rod ends, wheel bearings,and the only thing i see that felt sloppy was where the steering stabilize bolt to the drag link. tomorrow im doing my caliper and removing the entire track bar to see if it wobbled out that hole on the mount. im changing tires tomorrow too.
the mount to be concerned about is the axle side, the frame side is VERY beefy and i've never seen a problem there that wasn't a ball stud going bad.

the locked up caliper and the sloppy steering box could be causes also.

Unread 10-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutoDeMadre View Post
Dude, WTF is with the "junkyard" parts?

I would NEVER put a junkyard track bar or caliper on my rig. You have got to be out of your mind.

Go buy some new parts that aren't going to fail and kill someone........
first off its not your jeep, second i didnt ask for your opinion. your reply isnt needed. if you read, and i know thats tough, but you will see im in school and i dont have a job.
your new parts from autozone or schucks are more likely to fail than oem used parts. anyways its idiots and critics like you are the reason i dont go on this forum, thanks jerk waud

86 mustang gt
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
the mount to be concerned about is the axle side, the frame side is VERY beefy and i've never seen a problem there that wasn't a ball stud going bad.

the locked up caliper and the sloppy steering box could be causes also.
the axle side is good.thanks for the info. and for not being rude.
on a seperate note and not relating to anything about your reply ratmonkey i need to clarify something.

you know when a guy posts he has a problem he doesnt need a 19 year old kid telling him to buy new parts. and that used parts are bad. im 33 years old, in tech school. i think i have enough knowledge of whats ok and whats not. used jeep parts are fine. i also dont need people with attitudes. like im bothing you, im not new here, im not new to jeeps, im not new to cars.
i dont know if this arrogance is just on here. but this isnt the only jeep forum. and why do i want to go on here if people are stupid post whores who shouldnt reply to threads? it never fails, some idiot always has something dumb or rude to say.this dickhead mentality doesnt cut it when your stuck out in the woods with your pavement pounders. i dont need to post for attention or what not.i posted a problem looking for insight from other knowledgable jeepers.plain and simple. you dont like it.....

86 mustang gt
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

For the record dirt bag (since we are calling each other names here) I'm 47 years old and have been around mechanical stuff longer than you have been on this earth. And, I have built more wheeling rigs than I can count.

I stand by my point and would NEVER put used tie rods, track bars, brakes, calipers, etc on a vehicle that will be driven on the street. New calipers are about $25 so what are you saving? $10 on a junkyard part that might freeze up, cause you to lose control and kill some innocent bystander. What makes you think they are any better than the POS that you are taking off?

There is a time and place for used parts, and when it comes to safety items they aren't one of them.

You are so smart? Stay in tech school, you are going to need it. You didn't even know what Death Wobble is or how to trouble shoot it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.