'93 ZJ Power issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '93 ZJ Power issues

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
chich
1995 ZJ 

Well,thanks so much for all the sound advice.I'm getting some time off in a couple of weeks and will be able to do a little more in depth troubleshooting,plus the weather will hopefully be a little more conducive too.I appreciate all your input.Glad you were able to get all your bugs worked out,hopefully I'll be able to do the same.

I've only had the truck for a couple of weeks and aside from these annoyances I'm really liking it a lot.I should have gotten it at the beginning of the winter instead of at the end,but hey,there's always next winter,right?

chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

I think Jeeps can be projects at times, but they're worth it! Keep me posted as I'm eager to learn more from your experience and good luck!
Lakoswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
chich
1995 ZJ 

Update:

Well,after many hours of trying to resolve my issues,I bit the bullet and brought it in to a shop for repair.Turns out that the previous owner replaced the door at some point with a door from a different year (93 door on a 95).The harness plugged in ok but the pins didn't match up to their corresponding functions.He had to re-pin the door harness and now everything is working as it is supposed to.He's the one who tipped me off about the door,and sure enough,when I looked at the sticker on the driver door the VIN number was different,and the date of manufacture was 10/93.I don't think I would ever have figured this out .The good news is that I didn't have to replace any parts,the bad news,it wasn't cheap for his time and labor.He even fixed some things I didn't even mention to him like the power seats,power mirror,and alarm system.It's nice to have everything working as it should.All I have to do now is replace the NSS (no reverse lights) and charge up the AC and I'll be good to go.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
kevinaubertine

In the future this is how you test a master window switch. I haven't done this on a jeep but have done it on other vehicles like an f350 crew cab and a monte carlo ss. Should be the same. You need two short wires about three inches stripped at both ends. A digital volt meter, and a test light. Disconnect the switch and test the plug with the test light to find the hot lead, once you've found that, place one of your jumpers in the hot. Clip the ground on the test light to the jumper in the hot lead and start testing the light will light when you hit the ground, place your other jumper wire here. Now use your DVM and test for resistance. This will help you target the four window motors. Or two depending on how many power windows you have. If you cant find resistance across the pins for all your window motors then you have a wiring issue and you need to track that out before you can go any further or possibly a burnt up window motor. If you have a very high reading of resistance more than likely a burnt up motor. Once you've found one. With your jumpers still in the hot and ground place the other ends of the jumpers in the motor plugs. Continuity makes a difference here. if nothing happens switch the jumpers on the motor plugs. This should make one of your windows go up or down. You just keep repeating this if you can get all your windows to move from the plug using the two jumpers then the master switch is bad. But like i said if you cant find continuity for all power windows then stop testing and find your problem then continue testing. This will also help if the master switch has gone bad and the drivers window is down you can roll it back up. That is what happened on both my monte carlo ss and my f350 in the middle of winter. If some one would like to see this rewritten with pictures. let me know. Im not sure how clear it was.
kevinaubertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

@chich I wouldn't have even begun to guess that, I'm glad you've got it working!
@kevinaubertine Thanks for the info, I know it'll help someone without a doubt.
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
BLINK182
1993 ZJ 

Wire diagram - noob

Can anyone give me the wiring diagram for the drivers side mirror, thanx
BLINK182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #22
sis4auburn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i would love for u to post pics of this
sis4auburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

@Blink182 I was able to find a wiring diagram that covers the entire vehicle via Google. I believe links to such things on the Forum aren't allowed so I can't provide you one here. @sis4auburn, the overhaul of those wiring harnesses was about a year and a half ago, I don't have any pictures unfortunately but I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you might have as to how I went about fixing things.
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][B]93' Grand Wagoneer 5.2[/B][/COLOR]- Dad's
[COLOR="Red"]93' Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd. (Deceased)[/COLOR]

Tags
door , windows , wiring , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.