JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   '93 ZJ Power issues (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/93-zj-power-issues-1180934/)

Lakoswolf 03-12-2011 07:35 PM

'93 ZJ Power issues ***In Progress***

Greetings all,

I have a '93 ZJ limited, currently i am chasing a few electrical issues and was wondering if any of you might have encountered a similar situation.

initially I have only been able to roll the windows up from the drivers side master switch. As I'm the only one who drives it and I rarely have passengers I didn't think it was an issue, until one of the back windows now refuses to roll up or down from the master switch. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it with one from a junkyard, no luck. Currently I have the door panels off but the switches connected so as to make the regular connection so I can still operate the windows. I changed switches on the non functional back window with another, still no luck. So I am assuming the problem is with the door, rather than the switch. Any thoughts?

Secondly, the power mirrors have never worked, so on a whim i replaced the switch and now the passenger mirror operates fine, however I get nothing from the driver side, I have checked the connection and it seems fine, I would assume the switch is ok as it operates the other mirror without issue so I'm thinking it's an issue with the drivers door.

I have checked every single fuse in this thing and they are all good.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Upside 03-12-2011 08:15 PM

I bet if you pull the rubber boot back that's between the door and the body you'll find broken wires. It's a common problem.

93zj40 03-12-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upside (Post 11145769)
I bet if you pull the rubber boot back that's between the door and the body you'll find broken wires. It's a common problem.

this :cheers2:

Lakoswolf 03-13-2011 04:17 PM

Thank you Upside and 93zj40, I hadn't thought to look there. Upon removing the boot I've found several frayed and completely severed wires, it would seem this explains my issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm going to use some automotive wire I've got around and heat shrink it all back together.

Lakoswolf 03-13-2011 09:34 PM

[EDIT] This would appear to be the torx screw detail I've been reading about, found it right in the middle of the black connector (very difficult to see for sure!) Got the harness out and everything disconnected, will post a picture asap in the event someone else find themselves in a similar situation!

Well the good news is that it would appear to be an issue with the driver door wiring harness, which I am attempting to remove so that I can make repairs. I have this thing almost out however I can't figure out the black plastic tube in the door, does anyone have a method for removal that I don't know about? ;) I've tried just about everything I can think of. The two screws that hold it in have been removed also, it appears that there is a lip on both sides (inside the door and outside). Is this thing supposed to twist apart or something?

Thanks again for all your help!

PS I have pictures however I"m awaiting access to my PhotonBucket Account.

chich 03-14-2011 06:36 PM

Wow,I am going through the EXACT same issue with my newly acquired '95 grand cherokee limited. Just this past weekend I pulled the door harness out,was going to attempt wire repair myself,but a couple of the wires were broken flush with the connector.

I brought it to a restoration shop and had it repaired professionally.I put it back in,but the problems persist.I can control all the windows except the left rear from the master window switch.Individual window switches at doors don't work.Power mirror only operates passenger side.I just ordered a used master switch thinking that the master window lock is"stuck" in the lock position.Hopefully this will solve the problem.

As far as getting the harness out,I found that if you squeeze and push it out from the inside of the kickpanel outwards toward the door it will come out easier.Putting it back in was easier if you lube it with some silicone spray.Again,squeezing it and pushing it finally went in.

I was really hoping that the broken wires in the harness would have solved the issues but it didn't. I haven't pulled the door panels off yet.I'm waiting for the switch so I only have to do it once.I'll keep an eye on this thread and maybe between the two of us,along with the helpful suggestions from the forum,we'll get a fix for this annoyingand persistant problem.:highfive:

Lakoswolf 03-15-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chich (Post 11157142)
Wow,I am going through the EXACT same issue with my newly acquired '95 grand cherokee limited. Just this past weekend I pulled the door harness out,was going to attempt wire repair myself,but a couple of the wires were broken flush with the connector.

I brought it to a restoration shop and had it repaired professionally.I put it back in,but the problems persist.I can control all the windows except the left rear from the master window switch.Individual window switches at doors don't work.Power mirror only operates passenger side.I just ordered a used master switch thinking that the master window lock is"stuck" in the lock position.Hopefully this will solve the problem.

As far as getting the harness out,I found that if you squeeze and push it out from the inside of the kickpanel outwards toward the door it will come out easier.Putting it back in was easier if you lube it with some silicone spray.Again,squeezing it and pushing it finally went in.

I was really hoping that the broken wires in the harness would have solved the issues but it didn't. I haven't pulled the door panels off yet.I'm waiting for the switch so I only have to do it once.I'll keep an eye on this thread and maybe between the two of us,along with the helpful suggestions from the forum,we'll get a fix for this annoyingand persistant problem.:highfive:

Thanks for posting your method on removal, I eventually got it out in the way you described but would have saved a ton of time had I known before, so I know someone else will benefit without a doubt from that information. I am planning on acquiring one from a Junkyard if my repairs on the one I have don't succeed as I doubt I"ll have enough wire on one end to repair it twice. I found the connector under the dash to be particularly troublesome. I've thought about checking the wiring harnesses at the other doors for the same issue but haven't decided yet if I need to do that. Will keep you posted.

Lakoswolf 03-18-2011 10:57 AM

I have spliced the wiring harness together and everything works with the exception of the right back window. It will do nothing from the master switch, however it rolls down from the door but not up. I have since jumped it to get the window back up so I know the motor is good, and the switch is good. I am thinking that there is an issue in the back right door itself, as the wiring colors for both the back left and right doors are the same, so if there was an issue with the driver door harness, none of these would work and the left window works fine. Does this reasoning sound right? I have bench tested the wire harness for the driver door and it passed with flying colors and also other than this issue functioned normally inside the vehicle. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

chich 03-19-2011 11:45 AM

Good to see you are making progress.I,however,am still having problems.Door wiring harness has bee repaired,I have tried a new master switch,but windows only open from driver master with the exception of the rear left,which doesn't open at all.I took door panels off but did not see any obvious problems.have you tried a switch that you know works correctly in your problem door?I believe there are some relays under glove box you should check also. Good luck.

Lakoswolf 03-19-2011 03:18 PM

[EDIT] I have fixed the right back door harness, and now it rolls down and up from both the master switch and the window itself. :) So it would appear some issues regarding the master window switch can be caused by wiring issues in the individual doors themselves. I would check each of your doors for severed wires. Also, you might want to zip tie (leaving the trailing plastic on so you can easily retrieve them) the connectors that are in the frame of the vehicle, they can be quite a pain to get out.

I have checked all the relays and fuses, and they're good. I have also tested multiple known good switches in my problem door. I have since discovered the same issue (severed wires in the boot) on my right back door, it may not be obvious with just the panels off. I have since pulled the wiring harness out and am attempting repairs on it, I plan on doing this with the remaining two doors while I have everything apart to rule out future issues as well. Also, I have access to a good wiring diagram (although I think it has a few typos) if you want it let me know and I can try and get it to you. What doesn't work with your ZJ currently?

chich 03-19-2011 06:43 PM

I'll have to check all the boots I guess.Were they difficult to remove the harnesses on them? The driver door harness was the only one I took out and I'm not looking forward to pulling 3 more of them.

As far as the wiring diagram goes,I was able to get a service manual on the jeeps limited site.Sign up and you can get manual in pdf format.Check it out.

tcar 03-19-2011 06:49 PM

Yep, it can happen with any of the doors, not just the driver's door.

Happens most often w/ driver's door as it gets 80-90 or more percent of the use.

Also, if you have a bad switch in another door, you may not be able to operate that window from the driver's door, either.

Lakoswolf 03-19-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chich (Post 11194717)
I'll have to check all the boots I guess.Were they difficult to remove the harnesses on them? The driver door harness was the only one I took out and I'm not looking forward to pulling 3 more of them.

As far as the wiring diagram goes,I was able to get a service manual on the jeeps limited site.Sign up and you can get manual in pdf format.Check it out.

I've pulled a rear door harness and it was MUCH easier than the driver door harness, I can't say much for the passenger door as I haven't pulled it yet, but you'll be able to get the back door harnesses out easily.

chich 03-20-2011 07:13 AM

What doesn't work with your ZJ currently?[/QUOTE]

Well the driver door is the only means of opening the windows,except for the left rear which doesn't open at all.The wiring harness in the doors all look intact.I tried a new master switch thinking the the master lock might have been the issue,bit no joy:mad:All fuses and relays appear to be ok.The left power mirror doesn't work,passenger side does.I'm stumped at this point.

Lakoswolf 03-21-2011 05:38 PM

I had the same issue on my right back window (it would go down but not up from the window switch only, it did nothing via the master switch) and was able to fix it, I found a severed (green white) wire that ran to the master switch, fixing that resolved my issue and I was able to operate the window from both switches. The break in the wire was not obvious until I pulled the entire thing out of the door and cut the boot (lengthwise) off. Alternatively, you could unplug all ends of the harness (without removing it completely from the door) and use a voltage tester to test continuity (in Ohms) for each wire at each end of the harness. I counted two connections going into the vehicle frame (as I said before you might want to zip tie those, mine got stuck in the frame and they took forever to get out) and four coming from the harness on my particular back door, I believe yours will be the same. "000" on your tester would indicate the wire is intact anything else like "1" and you have a break. (so far as I know I'm new at this myself but so far this method has proved accurate and I've since verified it with several mechanics) That way you'll know if another door harness is at fault. If I was you, I'd still pull them all, as I've found the wires were either already severed completely or in progress on the two I've done so far, so it's a question of time for the remaining two doors. Also try swapping your right and left rear switches to rule them out as a cause. As far as your power mirror on the driver side, I replaced my switch ($15 from a junkyard) and got one working. I didn't get the other one working until I repaired the driver door harness, once you connect it you can use a voltage tester to test for continuity at the back of the connector coming from below the dash all the way up to the back of the connector that's attached to the mirror to see if, in fact it's connected. If need be there is a power mirror test one can do, I can find the documentation if need be) but for the moment it would seem there is no power to that mirror. When I checked it for continuity prior to repair I had nothing at all for mine.

Finally, if the middle of your driver harness has a torx screw, make sure it's tightened securely, when I initially tested my harness, nothing worked as this connector apparently wasn't screwed in all the way.

The time now is 04:01 PM.