'93 Rear Brake Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '93 Rear Brake Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Raimundo
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Newark, nj
Posts: 170
'93 Rear Brake Conversion

Hi there. I want to go Rear DISC Brakes on my '93 ZJ. Is there a specific model year that I should get the parts from or can I just get them from any one from '95 to '98?. Thanks

Raimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
fljeepney
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 653
I think Iron Rock Offroad sells the conversion kits,but if that's not the way you want to go,then I assume you would have to pull everything from a ZJ that came with rear disc.
Good Luck
__________________
1993 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited
1985 Corolla AE86 coupe
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Raimundo
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Newark, nj
Posts: 170
Hey fljeepney! Nice ride. Mine looks similar( no fire), I'll post pictures soon. So, I now I can save a lot of $$ if I pull it myself from a yard but,,Can I use ANY from '95 to '98? Thanks
Raimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
fljeepney
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 653
Actually,that's an old ad when the 5.9s came out,but I have a white one I just bought not long ago.I cant really say if it would work,but I'm very sure someone else will chime in on it.
For mine,I'm going to replace all 4 rotors with slotted ones for more stopping power,plus minimal brake dust.
__________________
1993 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited
1985 Corolla AE86 coupe
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,479
ZJ disc brake hardware was the same across all years AFAIK
__________________
Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Raimundo
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Newark, nj
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepney View Post
Actually,that's an old ad when the 5.9s came out,but I have a white one I just bought not long ago.I cant really say if it would work,but I'm very sure someone else will chime in on it.
For mine,I'm going to replace all 4 rotors with slotted ones for more stopping power,plus minimal brake dust.
Thank you "dnuccio" for the info: Hey jeepney; I HIGHLY recommend BRAKEPERFORMANCE.COM.I purchased front "slotted/dimpled drilled"(partially drilled) from them about 7 months ago. Those are amazing. My '93 stops so evenly,quick and with NOT a bit of vibration etc, also, after 7 months, they don't have not even a scratch on them vs the groves you'd get in flat ones, the grove in the rotor keeps the pad super clean, avoiding particles to accumulate in between, what causes rotor deep groves and warping. they also work a lot cooler, I use ceramic pads and barely dust. very good product and serious customer service. Well, I was just looking online and they all want over $500.00 for the hall kit.So, I have to do my numbers because I'm not using the flat rotors. I think I'll just get the calipers and bracket/plate from the yard, then I can get new calipers for $20.00 each (returning the old one) and the rest I'll get it new, like parking shoes and cables. I'll do the numbers and post back ok? good luck and thanks again.
Raimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Y0ungGunZJ
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 482
No 93s came with disc 94-98 have disc as standard.
__________________
_______._____. << ----Mine------____.____.
//_|__l__,\____\,___------Dads>> /l __,[____],_
l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0ungGunZJ View Post
No 93s came with disc 94-98 have disc as standard.
94 limiteds have discs, 94 laredos still had drums. 95 everything got discs
__________________
Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
fljeepney
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimundo View Post
Thank you "dnuccio" for the info: Hey jeepney; I HIGHLY recommend BRAKEPERFORMANCE.COM.I purchased front "slotted/dimpled drilled"(partially drilled) from them about 7 months ago. Those are amazing. My '93 stops so evenly,quick and with NOT a bit of vibration etc, also, after 7 months, they don't have not even a scratch on them vs the groves you'd get in flat ones, the grove in the rotor keeps the pad super clean, avoiding particles to accumulate in between, what causes rotor deep groves and warping. they also work a lot cooler, I use ceramic pads and barely dust. very good product and serious customer service. Well, I was just looking online and they all want over $500.00 for the hall kit.So, I have to do my numbers because I'm not using the flat rotors. I think I'll just get the calipers and bracket/plate from the yard, then I can get new calipers for $20.00 each (returning the old one) and the rest I'll get it new, like parking shoes and cables. I'll do the numbers and post back ok? good luck and thanks again.
Not a problem,glad I could help somewhat.I really appreciate giving me that site coz my 5.9 could use a stronger brake setup.Hope your swap goes well,and take pics of the swap.
__________________
1993 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited
1985 Corolla AE86 coupe
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
xcaliber81
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Prince George, B.C
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
94 limiteds have discs, 94 laredos still had drums. 95 everything got discs
you mean all model gc from 95 and up had disks in the rear?
__________________
Im indian my elders name is Jeep Grand Cherokee, I mean Chief Grand Cherokee. Quoted from Peter Griffin.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
coltman151
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: maryville, tennessee
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81

you mean all model gc from 95 and up had disks in the rear?
Yep. My 95 laredos got discs. 94 be the last year of da drums.
__________________
95 Laredo 4.0, 2" RE BB, RC N2.0 Shocks, Custom Roof-Mount Light Bar w/ 6 lights, Bumpers deleted, Homemade sway bar discos, Michelin LTX 31x10.50s, and a Dog Box :)
Planned: Homemade Spare tire carrier, double shear front track bar, 4 adjustable rear control arms, New Rims and 33" Wrangler MT/Rs or BFG M/T KO's w/ LOTS of trimming.
coltman151 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.