93 JGC Stuttered Bad When Leaving Parking Lot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 JGC Stuttered Bad When Leaving Parking Lot

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

93 JGC Stuttered Bad When Leaving Parking Lot

So today I was pulling out of the doctors office parking lot and got on the street, and my Jeep just stuttered and would not go. Shook a little. Took a good 3-400 yards of feathering the throttle for it to finally kick in and start going. Then it was fine. Stopped at the auto store to pickup some Seafoam and throttle body gasket. Started it back up with AC on and it idled very rough at low (maybe 400 RPM) and giving it throttle, it would smooth out. Let off and it would run rough again. Got on the road finally and drove a few blocks and it ran fine all the way home. Prior to this event I've cleaned IAC and throttle body. Jeep is new to me so I have no clue how old the fuel filter is. Plan on seafoaming tonight. When idling, giving it a good twist of throttle, it would rev up, back down, then act like it wanted to die, then idle normally again. Could this be the TPS causing all of this? This is a vague question just having a hard time diagnosing the issue on a Jeep I've had for three days. Thanks in advance!

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.0L I6 Automatic

EndIsNear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Well I've done some research and have narrowed things down a bit. So far i've done tons of fuel system cleaner, Seafoamed through brake booster twice, changed fuel filter, have tried priming the fuel pump 2-3 times before trying to crank, and she still acts up. Still takes 8-10 cranks to fire up. Today when getting ready to leave work, I cranked it up, let it sit for a few seconds with the A/C on, and the RPMs dropped very low, idled very rough, and when I "popped" the throttle a little, it hesitated, revved, then returned to running rough. This all lasted a good 10-15 seconds. So I started leaning towards the whole fuel pump being bad. But I stumbled across a thread on here on testing the fuel pressure regulator. So just a few minutes ago, I cranked it up, let it idle for a bit, pulled the vacuum line, and she idled the same. Plugged it back in, and it stumbled. Only tried once as I'm waiting on my neighbor to get home to give me a second input on the stumbling. So could this possible be the issue? Is there any other ways to test this? And using a fuel pressure gauge wont determine if its the regulator or pump, right? Any ideas?
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Well, I may have been wrong. I was pulling the vacuum line from the manifold, not directly off of the regulator. Pulling it from the regulator resulted in no change. I guess its time for the gauge. Its the only other thing I can thing of,,,
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

My map sensor vac line broke last night mudding and did almost the same thing. Thank god for duct tape. Did you pull any codes?
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

I did a few days ago with the key trick, and only got like 12 55 or something. When I looked it up it was saying something like 12 being that the battery was unhooked withing the last 50 starts and 55 being end of test. Other than that, no.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.