'93 JGC Laredo Manufacture's Alarm Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '93 JGC Laredo Manufacture's Alarm Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
jason5153

'93 JGC Laredo Manufacture's Alarm Problem

My battery was drained the other night & when I went to jump it the next day, the manufacture's alarm would activate (brights flashing, kill switch on starter activated, "SECURITY" light flashing on dashboard). No problem, it's done that before. All I have to do normally is just unlock the door manually with the key & the alarm will turn off. Now the problem I am having is when I disarm the alarm as normal, then put the key into the ignition and start the engine to jump-start the vehicle, the manufacture's alarm triggers again, preventing me to turn the engine over! I can hear the starter want to kick in, but it sounds like a kill-switch.

I called serveral Jeep dealer's service departments and have been told serveral different things:

Assuming it was just a bad switch in the door, to disarm the alarm, I tried manually unlocking the passanger side door as well as the cargo door. Same problem. That was apparently not the factor.

Next I had a duplicate key made and had one in the door to disarm the alarm, and one in the ignition to start the car. Same problem. I even reached in through the window to try & start it that way. No go.

Next, I cleaned the terminals of the battery. No difference. Then I spent $60 on a new battery - NO DIFFERENCE.

I don't know what else the problem could be, and I don't want to have to pay $150 to tow it into a service shop then spend hundreds on diagnostics.

If anyone has had a similar problem out there, or might know the answer to my dilema, I would love to hear from you!

Thank you SO much!

jason5153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
White cloud
2006 WK 

I had problems with my 93 GC with the alarm going off for no reason so i disconnected the hood alarm switch which was all corroded. i have not had a problem since....and the alarm still works if i open the doors, but not the hood....i was wondering if you were to disconnect all the switches from the four doors and the hood would do the trick...they are only held on by one screw.
i would try that before i would take it in.
White cloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
jason5153

Alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White cloud
I had problems with my 93 GC with the alarm going off for no reason so i disconnected the hood alarm switch which was all corroded. i have not had a problem since....and the alarm still works if i open the doors, but not the hood....i was wondering if you were to disconnect all the switches from the four doors and the hood would do the trick...they are only held on by one screw.
i would try that before i would take it in.

Thank you for replying back to my post so quickly! How do I locate and access the switches? How difficult is to disconnect them? This is probably the simplest solution, I've heard yet. We are talking about the manfacture's alarm, right? Thank you.
Unread 09-12-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
White cloud
2006 WK 

the switch under the hood is located on the passenger side on the fender lip where the hood meets the fender. it is right by the battery. the switch is a plunger type and is black which is help on by a phillips screw and there is one wire that is easily disconnected. the switches for the doors are located on the door post just under where the door latches. it is the same type of switch that is under the hood. hope this works
White cloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
brad335

I dont like the factory alarm systems. I have a Viper on mine, its really good. Sensitve but does not go off with out cause. You might want to consider one. Mine was $250 installed.
Unread 09-15-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
jason5153

Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad335
I dont like the factory alarm systems. I have a Viper on mine, its really good. Sensitve but does not go off with out cause. You might want to consider one. Mine was $250 installed.

Thanks Brad! I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.