93 jeep grand Cherokee overheating after water pump & thermostat replaced - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 jeep grand Cherokee overheating after water pump & thermostat replaced

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
dopeyjeep

93 jeep grand Cherokee overheating after water pump & thermostat replaced

I have a 93 jeep grand Cherokee, and about 2 months ago i replaced the water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and serpentine belt.

I got everything hooked up correctly and she fired up and ran great for the last 2 months but a few days ago i noticed a slight leak and my "check coolant" sensor came on. I found the drip leak (bottom hose coming off radiator, or where it appears to be coming from) but have not had the time to really get to it. so as a quick fix (due to levels low) i would fill up the radiator with new fluid and the overflow also each morning.

Today while heading to work (7 mile drive) she overheated and while idling would want to stall out even when i was giving it gas to keep a higher idle. I parked and popped the hood to look to see what was going on. i put my hand on the radiator cap and it was cold and steam was coming off the block.

Does anyone have any ideas that i can try (i have a limited knowledge of jeeps) before i have to break down and take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance!

dopeyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like no coolant flow.. either water pump or restriction in the radiator.

My guess would be the rad..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Burp it. Sounds like the block isnt full of coolant yet.
If it's a 4.0 engine, make sure the lower hose has a metal spring inside it. If not, it can collapse.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
DZINE
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ya it sounds as if you either have an air lock in the cooling system preventing coolant from getting to your motor, or you have a plugged rad or hose.
Drain rad and refill properly, also check both top and bottom rad hoses. If problem continues chances are its not air lock and you in for a new rad.
Hope this helps
DZINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

What kind of thermostat did you use? If you got a Failsafe it's probably already bad.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Take the cap off first thing in the morning and have someone start it and see if the coolant is circulating. Does all of your heater and radiator hoses have pressure on them and getting hot while running? If not then thermo or water pump is bad. Try flushing and back flushing the heater core then filling the system up while its running to burp it.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Mazdav8rx7
1994 ZJ 

Air in the system
Mazdav8rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Dont laugh, but I have bought a pump with the wrong impeller before. Box was marked wrong. Duh.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
nitronoise
1994 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like and air lock went through that changing and flushing the heater core on my 1994 , you will have to burp the system of air
nitronoise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
dopeyjeep

Well I found out what the problem was...or at least the major one was. When I hooked everything up over the two months the lower hose pressure clamp had loosened and in turn pulled the hose sightly off the lower rad nipple. Went and re connected it and am currently running a heavy duty flush.
dopeyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

The bottome hose being loose can cause the antifreeze to spew out and onto the block and make it steam but it should still circulate through the block and rad enough to keep it from overheating

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.