JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   93 jeep grand Cherokee overheating after water pump & thermostat replaced (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/93-jeep-grand-cherokee-overheating-after-water-pump-thermostat-replaced-1790545/)

dopeyjeep 11-14-2013 10:51 AM

93 jeep grand Cherokee overheating after water pump & thermostat replaced

I have a 93 jeep grand Cherokee, and about 2 months ago i replaced the water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and serpentine belt.

I got everything hooked up correctly and she fired up and ran great for the last 2 months but a few days ago i noticed a slight leak and my "check coolant" sensor came on. I found the drip leak (bottom hose coming off radiator, or where it appears to be coming from) but have not had the time to really get to it. so as a quick fix (due to levels low) i would fill up the radiator with new fluid and the overflow also each morning.

Today while heading to work (7 mile drive) she overheated and while idling would want to stall out even when i was giving it gas to keep a higher idle. I parked and popped the hood to look to see what was going on. i put my hand on the radiator cap and it was cold and steam was coming off the block.

Does anyone have any ideas that i can try (i have a limited knowledge of jeeps) before i have to break down and take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance!

OverlandZJ 11-14-2013 10:57 AM

Sounds like no coolant flow.. either water pump or restriction in the radiator.

My guess would be the rad..

Oldfrog 11-14-2013 11:16 AM

Burp it. Sounds like the block isnt full of coolant yet.
If it's a 4.0 engine, make sure the lower hose has a metal spring inside it. If not, it can collapse.

DZINE 11-14-2013 11:17 AM

Ya it sounds as if you either have an air lock in the cooling system preventing coolant from getting to your motor, or you have a plugged rad or hose.
Drain rad and refill properly, also check both top and bottom rad hoses. If problem continues chances are its not air lock and you in for a new rad.
Hope this helps

zjosh93 11-14-2013 11:57 AM

What kind of thermostat did you use? If you got a Failsafe it's probably already bad.

big98tnzj 11-14-2013 04:17 PM

Take the cap off first thing in the morning and have someone start it and see if the coolant is circulating. Does all of your heater and radiator hoses have pressure on them and getting hot while running? If not then thermo or water pump is bad. Try flushing and back flushing the heater core then filling the system up while its running to burp it.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum

Mazdav8rx7 11-14-2013 09:30 PM

Air in the system

Oldfrog 11-14-2013 11:45 PM

Dont laugh, but I have bought a pump with the wrong impeller before. Box was marked wrong. Duh.

nitronoise 11-15-2013 09:17 AM

sounds like and air lock went through that changing and flushing the heater core on my 1994 , you will have to burp the system of air

dopeyjeep 11-17-2013 11:32 AM

Well I found out what the problem was...or at least the major one was. When I hooked everything up over the two months the lower hose pressure clamp had loosened and in turn pulled the hose sightly off the lower rad nipple. Went and re connected it and am currently running a heavy duty flush.

big98tnzj 11-17-2013 11:43 AM

The bottome hose being loose can cause the antifreeze to spew out and onto the block and make it steam but it should still circulate through the block and rad enough to keep it from overheating

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum

The time now is 06:07 AM.