93 Jeep Grand Cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-04-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
jjp

93 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I was considering buying a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo with an inline 6, its clean, 115,000 miles. The brakes are a little shaky but other than that it looks good, and I was just curios about any common problems that occur? Is there anything I should look at to see if its in good running condition? Does anyone have an opinion on what a good price would be? For those of you who own jeeps, is this a good year? I've wanted to own for a while and I need a good reliabe vehicle?

jjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
FightClub777

93 was the first year that the Grand Cherokees (ZJ) were made. So, as with any new product line, there is always problems. Check the basics and have the dealer change them before buying, such as the plugs,wires,engine mounts. Other common problems may include the differentials.. ZJ have a tendency to break a few bearings after a while, so with 115K on it.. check for a grinding noise coming either from the rear or back. check the tranny and make sure gear changes are smooth. the Transfer case might have problems too. If you're buying from a private or a non-jeep dealership, take it to a Jeep dealership and have them perform a safety inspection ($65.00). They will check all the main components and tell you if something is wrong. A good investment, i think. oh you might want to run a carfax report (www.carfax.com) on it too, just to be on the safe side. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I've had my 93 for a while now.. and it has had it share of problems, so i would defintely recommend a safety inspection. If you have the money though.. go for a 98. Beautiful machines. And if you can find one, get a 98 5.9... I just got mine and all i can say....well, im speechless.

allright, im done.. i promise.
K&N FIPK II, Mopar Performance ECU, Magnecor wires, Accel coil, Brass cap & rotor, Autolite 3923 plugs, Rebuilt Alternator, Optima Blue Top, Tint to match rear, Pioneer head unit, Remote 1 Steering wheel interface control, Boston Pro Series component speakers, 12" sub, MTX amps.
[b]Mods in the works[/b]: Mike Leach Headers w/ Jet Hot coating, Car-Sound Converter, Flowmaster 70 Series muffler, Mike Leach tailpipe, Angelus plating tip, Kolak Lighting Harness, Robert Shaw Gen II 180 T-Stat
------------------
93 White 5.2 Ltd. ZJ
------------------
bone stock (except for the BFG AT tires) ... Possible Off-road project?? hmmm...interesting :D:D
FightClub777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2002, 05:16 PM   #3
GrandCherokeeLifer

I had a 93 Limited with a 4.0 and select trac. I had a lot of problems with it. The A/C is big dough if it goes and so is the fuel pump or water pump. As far as price, you could probably get a 93 fo between 4K-$6K.
You should go for at least a 96 or newer and try to find a 5.2 V8. I think that they more reliable, not to mention more powerfull.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2002, 10:07 AM   #4
S.Shine

Watch out for that fuel pump. Labor is expensive! They have to drop the gas tank to get to it. I had a '98 that I had to replace the fuel pump on and the track on my sunroof broke $$$$$$$$$. I also warped a lot of rotors which seems to be a common problem. The cat is probably due to go out soon if it has over 100k, but it is not an expensive fix, just don't let a jeep dealership do it!
Up Country
S.Shine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.