93 grand wagoneer wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 grand wagoneer wont start

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
debago
1993 ZJ 

93 grand wagoneer wont start

5.2 v8.
Drove fine all day yesterday, even though we had 8+ inches of rain. So it had lots of water splashed under it and over it on the way to and from work. Truck never hesitated, nothing. Wife goes to leave last night gets a block away and it dies at a redligh. I get it pushed back home and shes drained the battery from trying to start it. and the gas gauge only reads 1/8th. I put 5 gallons in gas, then put a new battery in. Here;s the kicker. the battery gauge now stays on 0 even though everything has tons of juice. it rotates but wont fire. i checked and yes th fuel pump is coming on.
Please help, this is our only vehicle and we cant even get our kids to school and to work now!

debago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is it a ZJ or a wagoneer. Your confused or confusing people.
The last year for the Grand Waggy was 91 and your profile says 93 ZJ yet you only have one vehicle. If it is a Waggy then your posting in the wrong section. If it's a ZJ then see if you have spark and pull the codes. Could be a CPS (crank position sensor) problem. They just die, no warning most of the time.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

possible got some water in there..
happened to me when my friend and i were going through puddles..
altho mine started back up after about 5mins or so..
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
debago
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxl
Is it a ZJ or a wagoneer. Your confused or confusing people.
The last year for the Grand Waggy was 91 and your profile says 93 ZJ yet you only have one vehicle. If it is a Waggy then your posting in the wrong section. If it's a ZJ then see if you have spark and pull the codes. Could be a CPS (crank position sensor) problem. They just die, no warning most of the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wagoneer
1993 Grand Wagoneer
With the passing of the Grand Wagoneer, Chrysler executives pinned their hopes on the new 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was originally meant to replace both the smaller Cherokee and the larger Grand Wagoneer.

While preparing the Grand Cherokee, Chrysler executives learned that both the Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer were still quite popular; but the cost of updating the Grand Wagoneer was too great, while the Cherokee seemed to be viable with minor updates. The Cherokee would continue through 2001, but after killing the Grand Wagoneer, the company decided to add a surprising new model after the start of the 1993 model year.

In their effort to retain the true Grand Wagoneer faithful, Chrysler made what could be called, at best, a halfhearted attempt to introduce a Grand Wagoneer based on the new Grand Cherokee. With Chrysler's 5.2 L V8, special faux woodgrain trim, special plush leather seating, and extra sound deadening as standard, the "new" Grand Wagoneer unfortunately looked like what it was: an overdecorated Grand Cherokee. This Grand Wagoneer was smaller, had less interior space, and lacked the imposing road presence of the original. In addition, the woodgrain trim of these Grand Cherokee-based vehicles was notorious for flaking off, and unlike the older Wagoneers, it is rare to find '93 "Wagoneers" with the faux-wood intact. The faithful were not fooled and the 1993 Grand Wagoneer did not sell as Chrysler executives had hoped. Thus, the end came once more for the Grand Wagoneer.

so thats why I posted here, i thought it WAS just a grand cherokee.
Is there a section for a 93 grand wagoneer? Its just a grand cherokee with ugly wood siding, and fulltime 4wd.

I dont know how to pull the codes. Theres no SES light or anything on, so I wasnt prompted to pull any.
Unread 10-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not enough coffee to read that yet, so I'll just admit defeat

To pull the codes
Cycle key on-off-on -off-on without starting it.
You will get flashes on the engine light. codes are 2 digits.They will come as quick flashes for first digit, short pause, quick for second, long pause then on to the next code. It will finish with code 55.

Or as mentioned it may just be drowned and needs to dry out

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
debago
1993 ZJ 

thanks. wainting on cab right now >
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
ynotyj

My 95 YJ did that after a lot of rain twice:
First time, a new coil did the trick. The second time was even easier (I'd try this first): a can of WIRE DRYER from Autozone. Take the distributer cap off and spray it in there.
BTW, I have a 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer too. I certainly don't think it's "ugly wood" though. You've got a unique Jeep. Don't knock it.

His: 1996 ZJ, 4.0 Selec-Trac
Hers: 1993 ZJ Woody 5.2

Ours: 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Touring. Sweet.

Previous Jeeps: 86 XJ, 92 XJ, 95 YJ, 87 YJ
ynotyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
debago
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotyj
My 95 YJ did that after a lot of rain twice:
First time, a new coil did the trick. The second time was even easier (I'd try this first): a can of WIRE DRYER from Autozone. Take the distributer cap off and spray it in there.
BTW, I have a 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer too. I certainly don't think it's "ugly wood" though. You've got a unique Jeep. Don't knock it.

THANKS!

I love it, but previous owner treated her pretty bad. It only has 106k miles and the interior is flawless, but the front end was crunched and the wood graphics are peeling badly.
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Didnt know they called them Wagoneers, but ya I love the ZJ Woody. Been buggin a guy down the road to sell me his.

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
Unread 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
debago
1993 ZJ 

OK. No moisture in cap, plugs are good. All the fuses and relays look good. it still turns over, except when my brother in law hooked up jumpers to it to keep the battery going. When he does that it makes a clicking like a bad starter. But remove the jumpers and make sure the alarm isnt on and it goes back to trying to turn over. WTH?!?!?!
Unread 10-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Check the Fuel Filter. It is an easy fix and a cheap part. My ZJ also had this problem.

And welcome to the forum and to the ZJ Woody group. I also have one.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
debago
1993 ZJ 

OK thanks. Is it inline or intank on the pump?
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the codes. Thats the first place, most informative and easiest place to start

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debago
OK thanks. Is it inline or intank on the pump?
Inline on the 93s. When you are underneath it, look back towards the tank, it's in the wheel well.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
debago
1993 ZJ 

12 and 55.

Sounds like a dead starter now. just click,click,click when you try to start it. If you put jumper cables on it it will attempt to turn over a few times, but as soon as you take them off, back to clicking. HELP!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.