'93 grand needs a new 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '93 grand needs a new 4.0

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 03-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
doozer

'93 grand needs a new 4.0

my brother in law asked me to help him put a motor in a jeep for him he just bought('93 grand, auto,4.0) anyway the guy he got it from had it on the dunes, ran the temp gauge way up then drove it home boiling over. so that motors toasted. what i need to know is can i use just any 4.0, or certain years. can it be out of a yj and just use the same mounts off the old block?? etc. any info on this would help alot. thanks in advance.

doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
T to the J

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer
my brother in law asked me to help him put a motor in a jeep for him he just bought('93 grand, auto,4.0) anyway the guy he got it from had it on the dunes, ran the temp gauge way up then drove it home boiling over. so that motors toasted. what i need to know is can i use just any 4.0, or certain years. can it be out of a yj and just use the same mounts off the old block?? etc. any info on this would help alot. thanks in advance.
if i were you i would look into the 5.2 or 5.7 motors, i have a 93 also and that motor hauls, alot of torque. so if you have the time and money go with the 5.2

T.J.
T to the J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
Saleen4971

im with t to the j on this one. once you drive a 5.2, you wont want to touch another 4.0, and my 5.2 gets the same, fi nto better gas mileage than my 4.0 did

Engine/Trans
- Full Kolak Exhaust (ML's FM70) - FIPK2 - APS 52mm TB - MSD Blaster SS - A3923's - Magnecor's - MP ECU - 180 robertshaw t-stat - Relocated IAT - E.H. M1 - B&M Trans Cooler

Susupension/Brakes
- Addco 1.25" Military front & 7/8" rear sways - Edelbrock IAS shocks - OME S.S - Stilens Front & Rear

Coming Soon :
Level10 Stage 3 46RE - WJ knuckle conversion
Saleen4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
96grandcherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen4971
im with t to the j on this one. once you drive a 5.2, you wont want to touch another 4.0, and my 5.2 gets the same, fi nto better gas mileage than my 4.0 did
yeah, but is it a direct drop in replacement for the 4.0 or does it require certain modification, ie: modifying the engine mounts, wiring, different sensors, etc.???
96grandcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
T to the J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96grandcherokee
yeah, but is it a direct drop in replacement for the 4.0 or does it require certain modification, ie: modifying the engine mounts, wiring, different sensors, etc.???
The only thing you would have to do is MAYBE new engine mounts..... besides that i kno for a fact that all the censors are the same (my whole family owns jeeps) but besides that it would be a easy swap....BTW when my 5.2 blows (210,000 mi.) im gonna swap a LS-7 camaro engine thats gonna be way harder than a 5.2

T.J.
T to the J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
KyleM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T to the J
The only thing you would have to do is MAYBE new engine mounts..... besides that i kno for a fact that all the censors are the same (my whole family owns jeeps) but besides that it would be a easy swap....BTW when my 5.2 blows (210,000 mi.) im gonna swap a LS-7 camaro engine thats gonna be way harder than a 5.2

T.J.
So all the 4.0 wiring harnesses work for the 5.2?
KyleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
Devon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T to the J

T.J.

Go ahead try it (swapping to the 5.2), your gonna need a new transmission, computer, wiring harness, and the sensors are definitely not the same. Stay with the 4.0, it's a direct swap, and it'll last a lot longer than the 5.2 with proper care and maintenance. A 4.0 engine from a 92-98 XJ, ZJ, or TJ will be fine as long as it's the EFI motor. You may have to swap motor mount brackets, fuel rail, intake & exhaust manifolds, and accessory brackets. It's not that big of a deal if you have time, tools, and mechanical ability. I just did this on my 93 ZJ, took about a day from the time I lifted the hood till I drove it out of the shop. The donor motor came from a 92 XJ, and I had to swap everything I mentioned above.
TtotheJ,
When you do the LS7 swap get ready for a long summer watching your Jeep sit in the driveway. Do you really know what an LS7 is? That isn't going to fit without MAJOR changes to the frame and MAJOR suspension upgrades, not to mention serious driveline changes. You planning to stay with the factory axles, tcase, transmission? You're talking big block Chevy 454, stock was something like 465hp. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN..............
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.