93 Grand Cherokee start problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 Grand Cherokee start problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
BUMMER

93 Grand Cherokee start problem

I have a 93 G. Cherokee with a 4.0 with starting problems. I have to turn the ignition switch to the on position for about 90 seconds before I hear a relay energize in the power distribution box and the jeep will start. It will keep starting as long as I don't let it sit to long. But when I go to start it the next day the problem starts all over again. Once it starts it runs fine. If the fuel pump is losing pressure it should'nt take 90 seconds to build up pressure. Has anyone experienced this problem before. Thanks

BUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Jeep-Tech1

Could be the ASD relay. But you will probably be better off to go ahead and get a PCM and it should correct your problem.
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
guango88
Air Trans

1996 ZJ 

have you change your fuel filter lately?
Unread 11-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Jeep-Tech1

and bummer i have seen this very same problem before to the T. And I diagnosed it to be the PCM. And guess what.............................................. ........ It was. Put a PCM on there and like magic it fixed it. Man you just dont know what a good technician and a fluke meter can figure out. Thats why I get payed as much as I do.Cause I eat, sleep, and breath and s__t jeeps from 8-6 mon-fri all year long....
Unread 11-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
guango88
Air Trans

1996 ZJ 

well, another problem solved
Unread 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

Hi guys...new member...I seem to be having a similar problem, but I am pretty new to Jeeps and need some acronym help, like what a PCM is.

My wife cranks our GC for 15-20 secs now that it is cold out and gets it to cough and then cranks it again and it will start...runs fine, but hard to start in the cold.

Mechanic buddy mentioned check valve's etc..that may be not holding fuel in the lines or fuel enrichment features may be mafunctioning..

Willing to take all suggestions...just need some guidance from the experts.

Thanks!

edit - Hi - Reading FAQ's now...ignore my newbie post

Last edited by sastanley; 11-18-2005 at 10:33 AM..
sastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
Jeep-Tech1

What year is your grand?
Unread 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
poconosms1

what is the PCM

I;m having the same problem, so what is the PCM?

East Stroudsburg, PA
poconosms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

PCM=ECU=computer

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
geeves66

loss of standby fuel pressure

I am in the process of finding out why Grand 2002 4.0 does the same thing. So far this is what my mechanic and I found. Fuel pressure at fuel rail 52# during idle. When engine shuts off, fuel pressure supposed to hold pressure for around 10 min (i think) My pressure drops to 0 in approx 10 sec. Bubbles in the fuel rail when purged. (due to heat boiling the fuel at low pressure in line) Could have injector leaking or fuel tank check valve leaking. I am hoping for the check valve problem. I am changing my filter/regulator tomorrow and adding an inline fuel check valve to try first. If that don't work, I will just change all injectors with new ones. Bosch set around $180 i think. GM service bulletins have a known problem with the check valve in the tank. And dealer does not sell just the valve. Write up says you need to change the tank. This is a recall on some models. Will try and go that route if this be the problem. And that is my two cents.

Geeves
geeves66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Tech1
What year is your grand?
Geez...sorry I am a slacker..

I have a '93 ZJ with the I6. I've since done some more searching and FAQ reading and pretty sure it is the PCM, as mentioned here. It's been three months and it isn't getting any better. Does it eventually just not work anymore and you get stranded?

I have a little extra cash now so I am going to dig under the hood today and see which ECM I have so I can order one from these rock auto dudes.
sastanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.