93 grand cherokee problems starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 grand cherokee problems starting

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
85cj7thing

93 grand cherokee problems starting

just got the cherokee.. knew there were some problems. got it home fine about 10 miles drive... parked it next day went out would not start.. fuse box under the hood is clicking. opened it up its the.. fuel pump fuse and auto shutdown fuse.. after a little while it stops.. all this when key is in the on postion.. i pushed the valve down on the fuel rail and nothing... i got spark just no fuel... so is it really the fuel pump or the fuse.??? and what is the auto shutdown fuse??is there away to hotwire the fuel pump... i have read the forums for about 2 days now and cant get a clear answer.. to this question but have answered alot of question i did have... this site is pretty kool

oh yea im not new to jeeps just the zjs i have 4 cj7 and one is in the rebuild stage

85cj7thing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Replace those 2 fuses if it still doesnt work check the relay if its not that you will be buying yourself a new fuel pump in the near future.
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
85cj7thing

relay were is it i cant find it....
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
85cj7thing

could it be the anittheft??? is there away to baypass that???
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
a70eliminator

I'm pretty sure the anti theft system cuts out the ignition, you have no fuel pressure at the schreader valve on the fuel rail. Get youself a can of eyther starting fluid or even just a splash of gasoline, take off the air intake hose at the throttle body and give it a squirt, immediatly try to start it, if it starts then suspect the fuel system, if no start then your looking at some electrical troubleshooting. I'm guessing when if you give that a try you'll get a momentary start-up.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
if no start then your looking at some electrical troubleshooting.
If he's got no fuel pressure he's looking at fuel problems, not electrical.
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
a70eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
If he's got no fuel pressure he's looking at fuel problems, not electrical.
your not getting what I said
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
your not getting what I said
Yes I did. Starting fluid isn't going to help at all. Starting fluid doesn't even need electricity to burn.

He also already stated he has spark.
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
85cj7thing

correct no spark no fuel... i kinda wanna narrow it down fuel pump is 250 around here in cincinnat..... coil tested out ok new fuses???? my light were blinking and i read you have to turn the jey on the drive door to stop it and that worked????????? idk im at a stand still here
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
a70eliminator

Ah, so you re-set the anti theft system, do you know what caused it to activate in the first place? There are ways to disable it.
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
LeroyJMC
1994 ZJ 

Sounds like it's probably functioning properly to me. That's exactly how the anti-theft is supposed to work. You disarm it by using the key in the drivers door. Check the owners manual on the operation of it.

Check your battery and terminal connections. My battery was weak and my terminal connections were all corroded causing my anti-theft to shut down the ignition/fuel system several times before I figured out what was causing it.
1997 Chevrolet Z71
1994 ZJ Laredo 4.0 - Sold
Thanks for the IR Remote Smokinbk.
LeroyJMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85cj7thing View Post
correct no spark no fuel...
You have no spark now too? In your first post you said you have spark.
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
85cj7thing

i did but now i dont have spark
i have no onwers manual
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
a70eliminator

First make sure the anti-theft is working properly. Get into the drivers seat and lock all the doors using the door lock button on the driver door panel, you may or may not need to have the key on to do it. Watch for the flashing security light in the instrument cluster, it should flash 3 or 4 times to let you know the system is armed, now simply open your drivers door using the release handle, your lights will flash and your horn will sound at the same time, now take your key and turn the driver door lock to the left and your system should disable. As someone already stated bad connections on your battery can do weird things so make sure they are clean and tight.
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
85cj7thing

horn ddint go off just the lights...

i just went out and tried to start it turned the key in the on postion and it started clicking fast 3 clicks or so a second. so i let it click when it finished clicking.. the was fuel at the rail and it started right up.. and is runnning at this moment... so i have no idea... this site is great.. has helped me on my cj a couple times lol.. is the clicking a warning the pump is going???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.