93 grand cherokee no spark to coil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 grand cherokee no spark to coil

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
mick007h

93 grand cherokee no spark to coil

Hello,

I have a 1993 5.2 grand cherokee limited 163k miles. I have no spark to the ignition coil. I have replaced the following parts:

remanufactured computer
Crankshaft sensor (non-Mopar)
Ignition coil (non-Mopar)
plugs
ASD Relay
Starter
Battery

I cleaned all the grounds and cleaned the battery cables. I used dioxit on the PCM terminal and clean them. I Disabled car alarm via the door. I checked the wiring from the coil to the PDC and it looks good. The vehicle turns over. I have fuel pressure to the rail.

The vehicle is currently at the dealership as I have been working on this issue on and off for 1 year. I was told there is no communication to the modules when they connect the DRB2 scan device. I was also told there is a short with the wiring for the ASD. I was told there are 4 potential wires. They were not sure the exact problem yet.

I am not going to have the dealership fix it as I was told it will be $90.00/hour and it could take 1-6 hours or more to diagnose/fix the issue.

I need to know if I should invest anymore time into this vehicle. could I have been sold a bad PCM. the PCM is acting the same as the old, ie no start. I dont even get a check engine code for disconnecting the battery. the initial problem was the cluster guages did not work right and no start. Any Ideas at this point?

thank you.

mick007h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Whatever you do, I'd get it away from the dealer asap
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Well I worked at a dealership as the service advisor for 7 years. Some problems you just need to take to the dealership even though it expensive. If you've already been on it for a year then I think your at the correct place. $90.00 was what we charged most of the time I was there and I'd think they'll fix it in about 3 hours. One to six would have been our estimate also. You could have 2 issues which sure makes one harder to fix. I'll bet there is still a problem in the PCM. But this is where I'd back my ears and let them fix it. Make sure they don't just have an open end to go 20 hours on you.
....Let us know what you find.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Whatever you do, I'd get it away from the dealer asap
Great answer for having no advise at all. I am not with or against dealers but sometimes this is that place where many vehicles come to get diagnosed or fixed correctly. I speak from experience here. I have literally seen dozens of vehicles with multiple parts replacements sent to a dealer to have the problem fixed right.

I am not speaking for all dealers and especially all techs working at dealers, but usually you will not get an improper diagnosis form a dealer (at least not where I am from), and if you do you can have them back the diag and find the correct diag and repair. This scenario may only work if you have them perform the complete repair though. I am sorry you feel that way about dealers, and I know they may seem expensive to you, but trust me I have seen so many vehicles that I would gurantee the customer spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a fix from an "outside" shop that ultimately needed a hundred or so dollars for the proper fix.

Bottom line is wherever you take it for a repair, it all relies on the person working on your vehicle, and how good he is with your concern and how honest he is with your repair.

Back to the OP, What exactly is going on with you ignition system? You state no spark to the ignition coil, but the coil is where spark is created. The power B+ to the coil comes from the ASD relay, the ground for the coil comes from the PCM, The PCM controls the coils spark by grounding the coil.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If a scanner won't connect, then the CCD buss is broken. I would verify that personally by getting a second opinion or purchasing a cheap scanner. Autozone will scan for free, or they used to.

That is where I would start...getting a scanner to function and going from there.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Have you checked the ignition fuse? It's a 30 amp fuse in the fuse block under the hood. If that is blown you won't get any spark. If it is blown you probably have a short you need to find.

Yard

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
mick007h

thanks for the feedback. I forget to mention all fuses in PDC are good. Wiring from PDC to coil and PCM looked good. The dealership also advised there could be 2 problems. One being a short somewhere in the ASD wiring, but I wasn't given the 2nd problem. I had the jeep at a local shop before I brought to the dealer and he could not get any codes either and I was told it was a wiring issue.

If the CCD Bus is broken, how do I fix that?

I would gladly pay the shop if I knew it would take 2-3 hours for them to fix the issue, but when they ask me how much do I want to pay and that it could take 1-6 hours, I just cant justify putting that much money into an 18 year old car.

I will try to get more details from the dealer today. thanks for the replys, I will update everyone soon.
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
mick007h

I just got off the phone with the dealership. I was told the short in the wiring has to be corrected first as that is what is causing the miscommunication with to the scan tool. and then from that point they would have to address any other issues. I made up my mind not to have them work on it further. the vehicle is just not worth it. I will get it home and go over the wires one more time and if I can't find the bad wire, then I am going to sell for parts. I have learned my lesson by working on this vehicle. when in doubt dont wast money and throw parts at a car, even with propers diagnostic codes an average mechanic like me is only guessing. I will let everyone know if I can determine the bad wire. Thank you.
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

take it to Autozone and see if they can scan it.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
mick007h

I found this old thread it the problem is the same as mine:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...start-1066757/

Before i got the remanufactored PCM, i used to get a check engine light and codes. Now i don't get any CEL. Could it be I got a bad PCM? Before I purchase the different PCM, my vehicle was still no start, but at least i had codes. why would it get worse after putting a new PCM? nothing else had been touched.

i hope to get the jeep tomorrow and then as soon as it warms up complete further testing and searching for the bad wire. thanks.
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
jhotrod83
1995 ZJ 

If you still have your old computer then put it back in to see if your cel comes back. Also ck for a cam signal because that stops the PCM from signaling the coil as well
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
mick007h

well I am done with my jeep. Just thought I would update the group. I traded it off for a 2006 chevy trailblazer ext. I got an awesome deal and I did not have to pay the dealership for the diagnostic work for the jeep. I got way more than what it was worth. thanks to all who chimed in on my issue. the end diagnosis was a shorted wire that needed to be fixed. Location unknowned.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.