93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #46
ak_2_bc
1994 ZJ 

Alarm disable - dual purple/yellow wires?

Hi everyone. Your help is greatly appreciated.

THE PROBLEM: The alarm on my 1994 ZJ started going off without provocation and I could not get it to turn off by unlocking the driver's side door (fob is long gone). I finally had to pull the fuses to get the alarm to shut up. Now, when I replace the fuses, the alarm is armed and shuts the engine off after it runs for a few seconds.

So I'm trying to disable the alarm by grounding the engine side purple/yellow wire located from the driver's side kick panel, as described on the forum (I've spent a long time searching for the solution). Is this an appropriate solution?

I think I have found the wire (it's part of the large quick connect, roughly 20 pins or so). My ZJ, however, has two wires connected to the pin of the quick connect, not one. I haven't seen anyone post about a dual wire situation like this. So, I was hoping someone could let me know if I'm on the right track. Do I need to ground both wires to the chassis? Do the two wires pull out of the back of the quick connect, or do I need to cut one (or both)? A photo should be attached (I've got a screwdriver slipped in behind the dual wires).

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.

photo-3.jpg  
ak_2_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #47
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

To disarm, try your other lock cylinders before cutting wires.

My 94 driver/passenger door lock cylinder disarm switches have never worked since I bought it new in Feb 94. Always use a fob, so never checked into it.

My liftgate lock cylinder disarm switch DOES work. Try yours.

The larger (18ga) VT/YL wire goes to the alarm module. Ground that one if you're going to cut the wire.

All of the VT/YL alarm disarm wires are wired together. So if you just splice in a ground wire, it can go anywhere on a VT/YL wire. Easier to remove than splicing cut wires back together later if you change your mind.

Not everyone has had success with grounding the VT/YL wire. 93-95 success is better than later models with BCM.

The alarm module may need a transition to LO (gnd), then open again (no gnd)... not just a solid ground. If a direct ground wire doesn't work, try a momentary push button switch to ground, which would emulate a door switch.

Aftermarket fobs are reasonable on e-b-a-y if you want to keep the alarm.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #48
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, jest getting my jeep ready to go in for its saftey inspection (93 jeeo grand cherokee) and im trying to figure out the horn, I have a feeling it may be an alarm issue. Wyhen i bought it, the alarm was disabled I have no idea how it was disabled, all i know is all the fuses were pulled for the alarm. I changed the fuse for the horn, and replaces the fuses for the alarm and everything started blinking in the jeep, so i assume the alarm was activated when i pluged all the fuses in, but the horn wasnt going off. I could hear the relay for the horn clikcing but no horn sound. So im wondering could the previous owner of cut a wire somewhere?
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #49
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Horn does not blow when the battery is hooked up and alarm enters "power-up mode". Blows when the alarm actually triggers.

The clicking relay is likely the alarm relay which flashes the high beam headlamps.

Relay is located in the Relay Center below the removable glove box floor panel.

If your horn works when you push the button, you're good.
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #50
kittykat84

Same problem

I had a mechanic "disable" the security system and there is no disabling it. There is silencing it but you can never disable it. I have to unlock the car from the passenger side door in order to keep it from going off.
kittykat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #51
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the one on my 93 is disabled. Only problem is it came that way and a 93 GC is the most stolen vehical in my city so now i have to figure out how he did it so i can re enable it or it wont pass saftey so i can get it insured..
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #52
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
the one on my 93 is disabled. Only problem is it came that way and a 93 GC is the most stolen vehical in my city so now i have to figure out how he did it so i can re enable it or it wont pass saftey so i can get it insured..
Some ideas in this thread... How To : Disable your alarm on your ZJ

Shorting VT/YL wire to ground is popular. Check inside your door panel.
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #53
FredDemara

The fan on my 94 Grand Cherokee limited refuses to shut off, even when I shut the car off. My brilliant fix was to just disconnect the battery. It works, but every time I reconnect the battery, my lights are flashing...not a big deal, but I'd like the system disconnected. I'm going to try the ideas in this thread and report back. Thanks
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #54
FredDemara

I took the wire that was running to the drivers side door lock (the purple yellow one...it was labeled "door lock") and connected it directly to the ground wire that was running to the same lock....been driving it for about an hour, no issues.....fingers crossed.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #55
blairda

97 jgc immobilizer

This purple and yellow wire must not be on my model. I don't know much about cars so I'm trying to follow these threads but i need some help. My jeep cranks but won't start and the key light is on like I'm not using the right key. I towed it to the dealer and they called back saying I need a pcm, ecm and key totalling 1800 dollars. THERE IS NO WAY!!! there has got to be something I can do to disable this myself or replace something at a cheaper cost. It seems like grounding the wire works on models before 96 so does anyone have a solution for 97 and up? I only owned this jeep for 3 weeks before the problem happened and I cannot afford an 1800 dollar fix.
blairda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #56
Scopez
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairda
This purple and yellow wire must not be on my model. I don't know much about cars so I'm trying to follow these threads but i need some help. My jeep cranks but won't start and the key light is on like I'm not using the right key. I towed it to the dealer and they called back saying I need a pcm, ecm and key totalling 1800 dollars. THERE IS NO WAY!!! there has got to be something I can do to disable this myself or replace something at a cheaper cost. It seems like grounding the wire works on models before 96 so does anyone have a solution for 97 and up? I only owned this jeep for 3 weeks before the problem happened and I cannot afford an 1800 dollar fix.
Have you tried locking all the doors, then unlocking the passenger door or the hatch first? Sounds like you might have more of an issue besides the alarm not disarming though.
Scopez is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #57
blairda

I would have tried that...however there is only one keyhole on my entire jeep which I thought was strange. The car was running fine aside from a stutter in the rpms when i would first use it for the day. Then when I went to start it...nothing. even the gas and battery indicators don't move even though car is trying to start. and they may have stated bcm not ecm. i tried unhooking the battery for a period of time, checked out the wiring on the door panel (there is no purple with yellow, only purple with black) and finally towed it for them to tell me both modules had failed at the same time which I just found to be hard to believe. could it just be one and not the other? also is this a fix only the dealership can fix or can my local mechanic deal with it?
blairda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #58
radwangon

Worked like a Charm

So i had a bunch of problems, last night was it for me. Went to the gym and when i came out it wouldn't start. (The whole starts and dies after 2 seconds, fuelpump not pumping). So i did the whole key thing in the doors...nothing (The blinking headlights did turn off and the "security" light did as well, the alarm would not go off and it looked like the alarm was off, but same thing, it wouldn't start. Disconnected the battery for an hour, played with the fuses, played with the key trick...for about 2 hours. Finally i had to lock it and left the battery disconnected and had to come home in a cab ...
Well, this morning i went back to the gym (via cab :/ ) and connected battery...voila! it turned on. So i came home and i opened the glove compartmen (whith the car still runing of course) and removed the VTSS. turned car of and tried to turn it back on... FAIL!!! no work, not even a false start, this time not even a spark. Tried to turn it on in neutral, same thing. So I put the VTSS relay back, disconnected battery and went to work on the purple/yellow cable (in my mind i didn't think it would work, it sounded so dumb and simple) but i was out of options and so i did, i found it (this is with the battery disconnected and the car is off of course) I grounded it, Connected the battery again and it worked!!!

Damn it! it was so simple and i lost so much time on other things. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm attaching some pictures in case anyone needs them for reference. (Probably not since this is a super old Jeep and most likely no one else has these any more :P )
1383311_10202294043578193_1095323163_n.jpg   wp_20131005_006.jpg   1375852_10202294040858125_558236795_n.jpg  
radwangon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.