93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Just to be clear, I was talking about unplugging the alarm module. In addition to flashing the lights and honking the horn, this module sends messages to the engine computer. When the module arms, it sends a "Don't Run" message to the engine computer. When the alarm is disarmed via the remote or the door lock switches, it sends an "OK to Run" message.

If the last message the engine computer received was "Don't Run", then when you unplug the alarm, it won't be able to run. If you disarm the alarm first, then start the engine and run it, then unplug the alarm module, then it won't be able to send any more "Don't Run" messages. And since it's unplugged, it won't be able to go off, either.

Grounding the VT/YL wire just tells the alarm module to disarm, but leaves the alarm module connected to all the circuits. There may or may not be side effects.

Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Inglburt
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I had unplugged my module (the one under the glove box?) And the alarm would still go off and not let the car start when I unlocked the door. What exactly is this module/relay for? The remote maybe?

I just found a diagram of the relay panel. That relay is listed as the security alarm relay. And fuses 6 and 7 are security alarm module and security alarm relay, respectively. Why would the alarm still go off and car not start if this relay is gone? And apparently just removing the security fuses wouldn't work either?

Last edited by Inglburt; 04-01-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Inglburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

You can't get to the alarm module through the access panel in the bottom of the glove box. If that's what you did, then you either took out one of the relays, or maybe the automatic headlamp module.

The alarm module can be accessed by taking apart much of the dash, including the entire glove box part. If it is at all possible to unplug it without taking the dash apart, then it must be done by reaching up under the dash in the passenger footwell. The plug for the alarm faces the front of the vehicle.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Inglburt
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I just took the box out according to a diagram I found, Everything else still work tho, even the auto headlights, thought I was on the right track. Wonder what it does? It was the upper left relay...
Unread 05-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #20
jeepsterzbo

Grounded, p/y as Samcool described in his Post, last week , worked!
jeepsterzbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
RED-85-Z51
1993 ZJ 

Im going to try and get to the alarm module under the glovebox tomorrow..

Its the black box I can see the edge of when I remove the relay access cover right?
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
RED-85-Z51
1993 ZJ 

okay, its not that one, thats the auto headlight module...

I do feel a 2nd box about 10" farther under the glove box, almost to the center section. Has wires going in the back of it...would this be the Security Alarm module? Do you really have to unhook the steering column, instruments, center section, and all that to remove the dash, to get to that SOB?
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
Inglburt
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up taking the driver door panel off and the alarm switch was laying in the bottom of the door. I cut the wires and connected them together and never had the problem again.
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #24
RED-85-Z51
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglburt View Post
I ended up taking the driver door panel off and the alarm switch was laying in the bottom of the door. I cut the wires and connected them together and never had the problem again.
What wires are these?
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
Inglburt
1987 XJ Cherokee 

there are 2 wires that go to a switch on the key lock behind the door panel. The panel comes off pretty easily. I don't remember the wire colors, but it should be fairly obvious to you once you get in there.
Unread 09-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
RED-85-Z51
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglburt View Post
there are 2 wires that go to a switch on the key lock behind the door panel. The panel comes off pretty easily. I don't remember the wire colors, but it should be fairly obvious to you once you get in there.
This morning I got in all 3 doors including the rear hatch, and cut the black and purple/w yell tracer, and wire nutted them together, with the vehicle running.

So far so good..i put a couple miles on it this afternoon, a few Wide open pulls from a standing start...runs good, and started an hour ago..so who knows.
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #27
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but i had problems with my 93 zj security system, it would go off randomly in the middle of the night and i lived in a rough area, 5 of the 20something times it happened were actually people trying to break in (one was actually a crowbar through the fornt passenger top weatherstripping and 2 nike footprints on the door, the door frame was actually bent out 4-5" at the top but somehow the window didn't break).
i tried everything i could think of and one day by chance i armed the system with me in it and pulled the hood latch...Alarm went off! didnot think that was tied in but i lubed up the hood latch, shut the hood hard, and the random alarms went away, that was 2 years ago... does this make any sense?
speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #28
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

also, pop the cap off the POS key fob and solder the 2 sides for the bulb, i went through 2-3 of them before i figured out that was the problem with them.
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #29
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
also, pop the cap off the POS key fob and solder the 2 sides for the bulb, i went through 2-3 of them before i figured out that was the problem with them.
Sorry, didn't quite get this one. What is it that you did to the key fob?
Unread 02-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #30
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

split the key fob like you would to change the "dime" like battery in it, then take a close look at the 2 solder joints at the base of the glass/plastic bulb (like on the front of a tv remote). my last one wasn't working with a new battery but worked if i beat the *%^& out of it, dab of solder on both joints and it works great. had 2 others i threw away and they probably had the same thing. hope that helps.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.