93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
HalfShaft
1994 YJ Wrangler 

93 Grand Cherokee Limited Security System Disable

Well I spent a portion of the weekend trying several Security System Disabling Techniques. I will describe all, which worked and which didn't. This is only from my experience with a 93 Grand Limited. It may work with other models and years but judjing by the fact it took 4 tries I can't guarantee it.

1. Fuses. I pulled 6 7 and 8 in different combinations. Tried a variety of combinations, security on, pull, security off, pull, etc. It does not disable anything. End of story.

2. I found the magic security system box in the dash. I unplugged it hoping for an "easy and clean" fix. It does disable the security system, along with the ignition. Doesn't work. End of story.

3. I found the magic purple/yellow stripe wire in the driver kick area. Cut the wire and grounded the end which came FROM the door. This is per another writeup on the security system. Zilchola. End of story.

4. The solution I found is. Ground the Purple/yellow stripe wire. Ground it to the mounting screw for the hood release. The wire is long enough, with a ring terminal. NOW - Ground the end of the Purple/yellow stripe wire coming from the multi-pin connector in the driver kick area.

With this method you don't have to take off the door panel or any other parts. The wire is easily locatable in the bundle which runs to the door. The way to determine if the security system is disabled is when you lock the doors with the remote, the security system light at the dash will not illuminate. If it illuminates it is still working.

Now the question would be, why did I disable it. Well, because I got tired of having to carry a programmable remote from the extra television around with me. It seems that some times the key fobs do not disable the system and I have been stranded more than once. The TV remote has pretty good range.

I hope this helps at least one other member to eliminate the 3:30 in the morning tromp down to the garage to find the horn blasting away for no reason at all.

By the way, from my experimenting with the system. It will not stop the activated security system from working. This means if you are thinking of using this information for any purpose other that solving your own problem on your own car, don't bother. It will still continue to sound, flash and disable the ignition.

Thanks Halfshaft

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited - "Rose"
1994 Wrangler - "White Whale"
2000 Ford F250 Diesel - "Bigfoot"
2000 Ford Excursion V10 - "Hungry"
HalfShaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
BliZZard911
2000 TJ Wrangler 

"3. I found the magic purple/yellow stripe wire in the driver kick area. Cut the wire and grounded the end which came FROM the door. This is per another writeup on the security system. Zilchola. End of story."

You grounded the wrong end. Ground the engine side, cap the door side. Works like a charm. Mines been done for a month or so.
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
HalfShaft
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appologize

I will never do it again. I placed the car word in my post.

Per my wife "Don't be sorry, just be smarter."

Per my father "I'm not mad, just disapointed."

Halfshaft

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited - "Rose"
1994 Wrangler - "White Whale"
2000 Ford F250 Diesel - "Bigfoot"
2000 Ford Excursion V10 - "Hungry"
HalfShaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
samcool

Great Disabling Tip, But What If Already Tripped Due to Malfunction?!?!?!

>It will not stop the activated security system from working.

Well, because the system is over-engineered, under-designed, and simply very crappy and clearly not durable, they frequently go bad (are all Chrysler products like this??). So, as this case for me, the alarm has already been tripped, and so I can't disable it by grounding the purple wire with yellow tracer. So, your investigation and synopsis are excellent, except it doesn't help people who can't start their Jeeps because they have malfunctioning alarms (unless they can get them to work at least temporarily).

Anyone have any ideas to disable my alarm? It is a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with currently tripped alarm, locking/unlocking doors/hatch does nothing, grounding purple/yellow wire does nothing, turning ignition key on/off 20 times does nothing, disconnecting/reconnecting battery does nothing. Security system sounded horn, now is just flashing lights and "security" idiot light on dash. The Jeep runs for a 1-2 seconds and quits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfShaft View Post
Well I spent a portion of the weekend trying several Security System Disabling Techniques. I will describe all, which worked and which didn't. This is only from my experience with a 93 Grand Limited. It may work with other models and years but judjing by the fact it took 4 tries I can't guarantee it.

1. Fuses. I pulled 6 7 and 8 in different combinations. Tried a variety of combinations, security on, pull, security off, pull, etc. It does not disable anything. End of story.

2. I found the magic security system box in the dash. I unplugged it hoping for an "easy and clean" fix. It does disable the security system, along with the ignition. Doesn't work. End of story.

3. I found the magic purple/yellow stripe wire in the driver kick area. Cut the wire and grounded the end which came FROM the door. This is per another writeup on the security system. Zilchola. End of story.

4. The solution I found is. Ground the Purple/yellow stripe wire. Ground it to the mounting screw for the hood release. The wire is long enough, with a ring terminal. NOW - Ground the end of the Purple/yellow stripe wire coming from the multi-pin connector in the driver kick area.

With this method you don't have to take off the door panel or any other parts. The wire is easily locatable in the bundle which runs to the door. The way to determine if the security system is disabled is when you lock the doors with the remote, the security system light at the dash will not illuminate. If it illuminates it is still working.

Now the question would be, why did I disable it. Well, because I got tired of having to carry a programmable remote from the extra television around with me. It seems that some times the key fobs do not disable the system and I have been stranded more than once. The TV remote has pretty good range.

I hope this helps at least one other member to eliminate the 3:30 in the morning tromp down to the garage to find the horn blasting away for no reason at all.

By the way, from my experimenting with the system. It will not stop the activated security system from working. This means if you are thinking of using this information for any purpose other that solving your own problem on your own car, don't bother. It will still continue to sound, flash and disable the ignition.

Thanks Halfshaft

Last edited by samcool; 01-27-2010 at 11:58 AM..
samcool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Lock and unlock the drivers door with the key.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
samcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_Brown View Post
Lock and unlock the drivers door with the key.
>locking/unlocking doors/hatch does nothing,
samcool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfShaft View Post

This is supposed to be done with the engine running already. It won't disarm an armed system, but it will keep it from arming agian in the future.
Marcos is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcool View Post

Well, because the system is over-engineered, under-designed, and simply very crappy and clearly not durable, they frequently go bad (are all Chrysler products like this??). So, as this case for me, the alarm has already been tripped, and so I can't disable it by grounding the purple wire with yellow tracer. So, your investigation and synopsis are excellent, except it doesn't help people who can't start their Jeeps because they have malfunctioning alarms (unless they can get them to work at least temporarily).

Anyone have any ideas to disable my alarm? It is a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with currently tripped alarm, locking/unlocking doors/hatch does nothing, grounding purple/yellow wire does nothing, turning ignition key on/off 20 times does nothing, disconnecting/reconnecting battery does nothing. Security system sounded horn, now is just flashing lights and "security" idiot light on dash. The Jeep runs for a 1-2 seconds and quits.
When you grounded the purple/yellow wire, did you cut it first? If so, did you try grounding both ends?

You don't really have to cut any wires. As mentioned before the purple/yellow wire is accessible in the drivers side kick panel area. In this picture, you can see the large black connector int he center:

This exact terminal for this wire isn't visible, but it should be present in the connector. Find it, and sick a piece of wire into the back end of that cavity (making contact with the metal terminal) and touch the other end to ground. This should disarm.

If it doesn't, there may be a break in the circuit going to the module, the module may be faulty, or the module is not recieving power. So, first check all your fuses. REALLY check (pull them and check with a voltmeter). Then you might need to get at the module. Someone said you can get at the connector without taking apart the dash. I haven't tried this. If it's true, you would reach up under the dash on the glovebox side, to the left of the glovebox opening. The connector faces the front of the vehicle. If you can, pull it, find the purple/yellow wire, backprobe it as mentioned above, plug it back into the module (still with the backprobe) and ground that wire. If that still doesn't disarm it, further diagnosis is required.

As for flashing lights without the horn, this can be caused by one of two things: When the alarm blows, it flashes lights and honks the horn for 3 minutes, followed by just flashing the lights for another 15 minutes. OR... when the battery is disconnected or goes very low, and power is restored, the alarm goes into "power up mode", which is to flash the lights. Both can be cancelled by disarming the alarm.

I was at a gas station when a woman with an early ZJ approached me, saying it wouldn't start and the security light was flashing. I tried the key in both front doors and the hatch but it didn't work. Then, I tried jump-starting it for her and that worked (after disarming with the booster hooked up). Turns out her battery was bad, and the low voltage put the alarm in power-up mode.
Marcos is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

Grounding the violet/yellow* wire worked for me, except I did it non-destructively. I just jumpered it to itself and my Jeep has not yelled at me for trying to get in ever since. It's a '93 GC Laredo. The 'door key disable' didn't work reliably. After letting the alarm run its course (at least several minutes) one night since I couldn't disable it with the key in any way, I did this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...ml#post5762146
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
BigD_ZJ
1993 ZJ 

did you try pulling the relay from within the relay center under the glove compartment.

Along with the grounding of the purple wire, it should work like a charm.

[B]Member #3 Green Jeep Group[/B]
BigD_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcool View Post

You could try unplugging the battery, but grounding the wire basically tells the alarm the door was unlocked with the key and to disarm. Mine was acting the same way yours is, and grounding that wire has worked perfectly for around 3 years now.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Inglburt
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
This is supposed to be done with the engine running already. It won't disarm an armed system, but it will keep it from arming agian in the future.
I took the stupid "magic box" or relay out from under the glove box. Yesterday I disconnected the battery to work on something and when I plugged it back in I got the flashing lights and no-start. Today I went to the store and lock my doors, and when i came out and unlocked the driver door, the lights and horn went off again....

It's a 93 GC and I don't have a remote.
Inglburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Inglburt
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I took the door panel off and found my lock switch laying in the bottom of the door. I just cut it off and twisted the wires together. All seems good so far. So what is that relay for then?
Inglburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Please elaborate on this TV remote thing, I've never heard of it before.
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Not exactly, this is to simulate unlocking the door, but constantly. Basically it will disarm the alarm and never allow it to arm.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.